Prep Tech Shift Supervisor
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/7/2016
END DATE 10/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW:
ALS provides a broad range of testing and analytical services to a wide variety of end markets and industries around the globe. We continue to remain at the forefront of the testing services industry, building an enviable reputation.
General Accountability: The Prep Supervisor is responsible for supervision of the Sample Preparation staff; making sure that productivity quotas and goals are met and/or exceeded. The priority for this position is to ensure that the department runs smoothly and that all standards are followed by the staff on shift to ensure client instructions are followed correctly.
* Manages the process of sample preparations;
* Maintains shift production levels and ensures sample preparation work meets required turnaround time;
* Coordinate and prioritize daily workloads;
* Ensures that all Standard Operating Procedures are adhered to;
* Ensures that all staff follow safety procedures and policies when working;
* Determines when client sample processing instructions are missing, incomplete or ambiguous; accomplishes this by close liaison with layout personnel and the work order entry group;
* Maintains close liaison with Manager, Assistant Manager, and other lab staff to ensure the smooth delivery of our services to clients;
* Identifies and resolves internal and external problems when they arise;
* Investigate client inquiries and complaints related to quality issues and be able to suggest proactive actions;
* Responsible for training and development of the Sample Preparation technicians on routine prep samples, handling and processing;
* Conduct monthly crew talk to discuss safety and quality issues with the staff;
* Organizes employee shift work in consultation with the Prep Supervisor;
* Helps with employee performance evaluations, discipline and other issues as they arise in consultation with the Manager;
* Assist in keeping staff training records and controlled documents up-to-date;
* Update and generate prep QC data charts;
* Performs basic mechanical maintenance as required;
* Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
* Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
* Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Experience in managing and training staff;
* Hands-on experience with laboratory computer systems;
* Basic Mechanical aptitude;
* Organized and highly motivated individual;
* Detail oriented individual with a strong commitment to quality and safety;
* Ability to work independently and/or as part of a team;
* Ability to effectively handle a high volume of work and time critical issues;
* Strong interpersonal skills along with the ability to exercise diplomacy and tact;
* Excellent English communication skills both written and verbal;
* Excellent computer skills including LIMS, Webview, MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
* Minimum 3 years work experience in a commercial minerals laboratory or minerals sample preparation required;
* Degree or diploma in mineral/geology/chemistry an asset;
* Forklift licence/certification, or experience driving a forklift an asset.
* Ability to sit at a desk and do general office work, which includes periodic sedentary responsibilities.
* Ability to work in a hot and dusty environment;
* Manual dexterity to perform repetitive tasks;
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs (occasionally lifting may exceed 50lbs and assistance is mandatory from either another employee or the lift assist equipment); * Ability to sit at a desk and do general office work, which includes periodic sedentary responsibilities;
* Be cleanly-shaven in order to wear protective equipment.
We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
"ALS Group is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving and maintaining a workforce which reflects and affirms the diversity of our society"
ALS is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.