This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/20/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONEXPERIENCE: 20+ years relevant experience with BS EE, 15+ years with MS/PhD EE
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
COMPANY DESCRIPTION: NuCurrent Inc. is a venture-backed company specializing in the development of Wireless Power Systems and High-Q antennas for wireless power transfer. NuCurrent's patented, cutting-edge technology yields the highest Q inductors for high frequency applications in the wireless power industry that can be produced in large volume, high quality, and at a very competitive cost. NuCurrent customers are primarily Tier 1 and Tier 2 OEMs spanning a wide range of products including consumer electronics (such as smartphones and wearables), medical devices, and automotive segments. By partnering with leading IC companies on state-of-the-art wireless power platforms NuCurrent's innovative technology is featured as the reference antenna.
SUPERVISOR'S TITLE: CTO
KEY WORDS: HF DC-DC Converters, power conversion, mixed signal design, Class-E, Class-D, power management
* Be the technical authority for internal discussions and external engagements
* Develop systems for applications in industries spanning consumer electronics, infrastructure, industrial and medical.
* Lead the entire development cycle - from spec development to delivery - of product-ready prototypes and BOM
* Mentor engineering team comprising experienced engineers, PhD's, mid-level and junior engineers
* Work closely with Product Manager & Technical Apps/Marketing to manage projects, ensure timely delivery of high quality products and high quality technical support to customers and partners
* Understand the wireless power space including standards and regulatory challenges.
* Understand NuCurrent's technology and processes, and institute best practices where needed.
* Create detailed device hardware and sub-system specifications based on user needs, use cases and system requirements.
* Lead the design and development of wireless power systems based on developed specifications
* Design will utilize simulation tools such as SPICE (or equivalent) for circuits, EM simulation software for antennas, and analysis using Matlab (or equivalent)
* Development will include extensive testing on boards developed either in-house or by partners/customers/vendors
* Influence management, and partners and customers to support successful implementation of design (and spec) changes and improvements
* Review new product or process design initiatives to ensure engineering needs are integrated into business plans
* Work with CTO to drive the development and formalization of Intellectual Property
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* Demonstrated success in delivering results on technical challenges that included strong problem solving skills
* Track record of shipping mixed-signal hardware including embedded micro-controllers.
* Circuit design and PCB design including designing for manufacturability & EMI/EMC
* Strong documentation experience as related to design outputs and sub-system definition
* Strong understanding of electromagnetics and magnetostatics (10 KHz - 100 MHz)
* Experience with power electronics (mW to100s of W), including design, component selection and implementation
* DC-DC Converters from LF to HF (up to 10 MHz preferred)
* Experience with designing high efficiency Class-D, E, F amplifiers (ideally in the 1 - 50 MHz regime)
* Ability to work individually and in small teams that may include contractors working remotely
* Ability to multitask and be flexible to evolving specifications and project dynamics.
* Experience with designing for low cost, high production volume consumer products.
GOOD TO HAVE
* Experience with wireless power applications
* Knowledge of FCC regulations (e.g. Part 18, part 15) and CISPR
* Experience with integration of 3rd party Bluetooth stack and middleware
* Experience in hardware development for mobile devices with WiFi/GPS/NFC
* Knowledge of thermal management materials and experience in designing for thermal management
* Knowledge of battery charging circuits and batteries