Principal Mechanical Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
PerkinElmer is a global leader focused on improving
human and environmental health. We provide our customers
with critical knowledge and expertise, and innovative
detection, imaging, software, and services solutions so
that they can make better decisions for better outcomes.
At PerkinElmer, we make a difference every day helping
scientists, clinicians and governments detect earlier
and more accurately to improve the health and safety of
people and the environment. Our solutions range from
enabling the discovery of more effective diagnostics and
therapies, to making sure that the food we eat, the
water we drink, and our environment are safe from
We are seeking a seasoned, creative and analytically
skilled mechanical engineering professional who
conceives, defines requirements for, designs and
analyses scientific instrumentation with primary
application in optics for our Inductively coupled plasma
optical emission scattering(ICP-OES) product line. The
individual works in a team based project environment
interacting with software, firmware, electrical,
manufacturing and service engineers, as well as
physicists, chemists, consultants and customers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Primarily responsible for the mechanical definition
and design and development of all instruments in our
* Derives technical performance requirements for new
instrumentation from marketing concepts and market
* Possess a keen awareness of competitive systems and
is able to assess inherent strengths and weaknesses.
Is also aware of state-of-the-art components,
subsystems and accessories that add competitive
value to new product developments.
* Conceives novel next generation instrument
architectures and analyzes sub-system and system
performance of proof of principal breadboards.
Assesses feasibility and cost effectiveness of
implementing new instrument concepts.
* Mentors less senior engineers in design and analysis
techniques. Checks designs and documentation for
completeness, accuracy and manufacturability.
* Performs tolerance studies to assure form, fit and
function of related parts and assemblies.
* Confers with team members to identify and resolve
* Follows phased-gate development process through the
design, manufacturing transition, and commercial
* Maintains professional and technical knowledge at
leading edge potential by attending educational
workshops, reviewing the technical literature and
participating in professional societies.
* BS Mechanical Engineering (Masters preferred) and
5-10+ years experience in the design and evaluation
of mechanical products.
* Demonstrated mastery of SolidWorks or PTC
ProEngineer and Microsoft Excel.
* Proficient in Finite Element Analysis and
Computational Fluid Dynamics.
* Strong experience with product data managements
systems and engineering processes.
* Six Sigma green belt level experience (black belt
mastery a plus).
* Experience with technologies used in laboratory
* Broad knowledge of engineering materials and
* Willingness to travel up to 20% of the time.
Job Performance Characteristics:
* Demonstrates effective technical/ project
presentation, communication and negotiation skills.
* Works on specialized and/or interdisciplinary
matters of broad scope, impact cost, visibility and
* Accountable for developing innovative solutions to
complex business challenges demonstrating ingenuity
* Self-initiates courses of action necessary to obtain
* Leads other, independently balancing high impact
* Driving contributor to the widespread development of
strategic initiatives and improvements.
* Fully responsible for significant/challenging
deliverables, often working through others on a
matrixed basis. Drives appropriate actions keeping
management informed of progress and
* Maintain awareness that decisions can significantly
impact customers, operations, services, revenue or
achievement on strategic business goals.
* Manages projects/program and assignments of
significant scope/impact requiring intergroup
contacts within and across locations; works at all
levels of the organization both inside and out.