Principal Project Engineer (Software/Systems)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/10/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
San Diego, CA
2020 Cubic Transportation Systems, Inc.
Cubic offers an opportunity to provide innovative technology for government and commercial customers around the globe, helping to solve their future problems today. We re the leading integrator of payment and information technology and services for intelligent travel solutions worldwide, and the leading provider of realistic combat training systems, secure communications and networking and highly specialized support services for military and security forces of the U.S. and allied nations. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and thrive in an innovative environment, we want to talk to you about your next role at Cubic! We are seeking employees inspired by technology, and motivated by the rewards of hard work, commitment, teamwork, quality, integrity, and respect. We invite you to explore opportunities with Cubic.
Acting as technical consultant or project leader, performs complex systems engineering tasks. Provides technical guidance and leadership. Provides project coordination, and supervision. Coordinates activities for proposals/new business. Defines budget and schedule constraints. Some incumbents in this position will also act in a Project Engineer capacity
This position typically works under limited supervision and direction. Incumbents of this position will regularly exercise discretionary and substantial decision-making authority.
* Conceptualizes, develops and analyzes engineering designs, specifications and test plans for systems and equipment based on customer/contract requirements.
* Researches design concepts and feasibility utilizing advanced technical theory and knowledge.
* Coordinates and develops project concepts, objectives, specifications and resource needs.
* Monitors project status progress and measures system performance.
* Ensures compliance with contractual requirements for all engineering tasks.
* Directs, coordinates and contributes to compilation and writing of proposal documents.
* Prepares design proposals to reflect cost and schedule estimates for defined engineering tasks.
* Develops interface specifications, system and subsystem test plans, and cost and schedule estimates. Develops design and operation documentation. Performs system analysis.
* Maintains liaison with customer, subcontractor and vendor representatives. Evaluates vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
* Plans, directs, coordinates and monitors assigned engineering projects involving the design, development, modification, testing and evaluation of complex systems, subsystems and subassemblies with integrated hardware and software components.
* Responsible for project schedules, budgets, and technical performance. Conducts project coordination and review meetings. Makes presentations before management and customers. Conducts in-house design reviews and technical meetings.
* Manages budget and schedule for systems engineering tasks.
* Identifies systems engineering process improvements, and supports the execution of them across the organization. Shows commitment to company values, ethics, safety, security, labor charging, and quality.
* Participates in company-wide Total Quality Management/Continuous Process Improvement teams.
* Keeps abreast of improvements in systems engineering.
For those acting in a Project Engineer capacity, the following additional job duties will apply:
* Plans, assigns and directs project s engineering tasks and personnel.
* Ensures the technical accuracy of specific design details in project areas and recognizes technical problems in other disciplines; initiates appropriate corrective actions.
* Coordinates and manages the assignments of project s engineering personnel and is responsible for leading and evaluating project staff.
* Coordinates with Business Development on product features and functionality.
* Acts as liaison between different engineering disciplines, engineering support functions, manufacturing, program management personnel and the customer.
* Manages systems configuration, system architecture and system design.
* Identifies solutions for new and existing customers, and takes a leading role in the preparation and presentation of clear and high-quality solutions, highlighting the role of both technology and service delivery within them.
* Helps maintain documentation that describes the current state of our products and systems for distribution to potential customers, and participates in the preparation and presentation of product roadmaps that describe the future state of these products and systems.
* Design and support the implementation of complex end-to-end integrated systems
Four-year college degree in engineering, computer science or related technical discipline, plus a minimum of eight years of related experience, or an applicable master s degree with six years related experience. Highly effective written and oral communication skills. Ability to interpret technical contract requirements and formulate technical solutions. Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing using typical office automation products such as word processors and spread sheets. Ability to interface with customers, subcontractors and vendors, and deal with employees and managers at all levels in manufacturing, engineering and other departments. Must be able to solve complex and difficult systems engineering problems. In depth knowledge of customer needs and competing products.
* 8+ years of related experience in a software design and development.
* 6+ years working in a senior engineering role with responsibility for significant aspects of design.
* 3+ years of experience in sales engineering activities including the preparation and presentation of responses to EOI/RFI/RFP etc.
* Strong technology background, specifically in the delivery of complex software systems with high levels of 3rd party integration.
* Experience working on firm fixed price/schedule projects with earned value performance reporting.
* Experience with formal requirements management and traceability.
* Experience on large scale development projects following a waterfall SDLC.
* Experience working on software development projects following an Agile SDLC.
* Experience in developing, improving and following policies, processes and procedures that formally define the project life cycle within an ISO 9001 or similar environment.Highly
* Ability to brief customers at all levels, Executive Directors of Agencies, all the way up to state governors.
* Ability to ascertain needs of a the total solution to effectively recruit synergistic teaming arrangements, find the right individual skill set to bring the required solution, and recruit a complete team that meets the customer needs while understanding underlying relationships between team members, customers and consultants.
* Conversant in Critical Path methodologies to effectively communicate delivery capabilities.
* Confident to push back on other SME when the solution does not technically fit client needs.
For those acting in a Project Engineer capacity, the following job requirements are desirable:
One year of managing engineering personnel. Experience with several engineering design and/or requirements management tools.