This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 12/4/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY MilliporeSigma is the North American life science brand of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany - a leading science and technology company. It offers a broad range of innovative products and services to biotech and pharmaceutical drug therapies businesses. Through dedicated collaboration with the scientific and engineering communities, and as one of the top three R&D investors in the life science tools industry, the brand serves as a strategic partner to customers and helps advance the promise of life science.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Design, develop and oversee viral vector production and purification processes for both clients as well as intercompany projects. This position may have supervisory responsibilities.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Principal Scientist is the primary scientific resource for a particular scientific function within Process Development.
The Principal Scientist is responsible for the scientific integrity of technical work performed in Process Development, ensuring current technical requirements of internal and external clients are appropriately met, effectively interpreted and then communicated to the relevant parties. The Principal Scientist will assume all aspects of the lead scientist role in new customer processes and process related functions. The Principal Scientist will be the subject-matter point of contact for viral vector gene therapy processes and applications.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
* Act as the technical expert for specific defined area(s) of VG&CT in Carlsbad.
* Act as the lead scientist on new customer production, purification, characterization and validation projects.
* Act as the scientific consultant for clients; providing technical input into relevant programs.
* Liaise closely with client representatives to ensure their expectations are met or exceeded. This should include input into technical design / development / optimization of new projects and ongoing scientific support throughout these projects / programs.
* Champion or lead process development, process transfer and/or process characterization / validation activities.
* Justify business needs and drive implementation of new services.
* Participate in critical event / lab investigations within Process Development (and manufacturing as deemed applicable) and liaise with Program Management to ensure the significance of events is actively communicated to clients.
* Work with operational departments within area of expertise to update processes in line with the appropriate Validation Master Plan and client / site expectations.
* Lead by example, offer scientific coaching and mentoring to other staff members (training and scientific support for ongoing projects).
* Monitor industry trends to ensure that MilliporeSigma remains at the forefront of scientific advancements in the field of VG&CT; review and recommend potential technical developments to senior / executive management.
* Support members of the Business Development group regarding new and existing programs. Support sales in the field, attend client visits with account managers and participate in company seminars as required.
* Promote a culture of continuous improvement within Process Development; act as champion on initiatives and/or projects to drive improvement in client service.
* Prepare, publish and/or present (internally and externally) scientific data, abstracts, papers, posters, etc. to advance the reputation of MilliporeSigma within the marketplace.
* Track and trend key production parameters and recommend courses of action to address any adverse trends and / or issues that arise.
* Provide technical advice and support for client interactions (audits, meetings, teleconferences and inspections).
* May perform other related duties as required and / or assigned.
* Ph.D. in scientific discipline preferred, with 6 or more years of relevant experience
* Extensive working knowledge and experience in relevant scientific area(s), proven track record in overseeing technical projects and/or related studies (i.e. Virology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biotech industry, etc.)
* Proficiency in manufacturing of biologics with emphasis on viral vectors. Extensive working knowledge of upstream production and downstream purification.
* Recognized scientific leader in the industry
* Experience leading and/or supervising staff in a laboratory setting
Knowledge and Skills:
* Hands-on skill set for aseptic technics in handling cell culture.
* Proficient knowledge and hands-on experience of various platforms used for suspension cultures and adherent cultures. Scale-up and scale-down approaches and models.
* Hands-on skill set for large scale cell culture using bioreactors.
* Proficient knowledge and hands-on experience of various approaches used for downstream purification focusing on tangential flow filtration and chromatography.
* Excellent skills in applicable computer programs
* Excellent oral and written communication skills that have been demonstrated through presentations/seminars, oversight of projects, implementation of new services, etc.
* Excellent time management skills
* Highly collaborative as well as independent
* Demonstrates a high level of initiative
* Excellent leadership skills with employees, management and other stakeholders
* Effective coaching and training (or supervisory where relevant) skills for complex and highly technical work
* Highly technically competent and is considered a scientific leader in the industry
* Demonstrates ability to develop company strategies for on boarding of new scientific technologies
* Demonstrates working knowledge of company commercial and financial strategies
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.