Principal Scientist Industrial Toxicologist
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2016
END DATE 10/16/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Description
Altria Group is a FORTUNE 200 company that owns the premier tobacco companies in the United States including Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, John Middleton and Nu Mark. The companies' brands include Marlboro, Copenhagen, Skoal, Black & Mild, MarkTen and VERVE. Altria also owns Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, one of the country's top premium wine producers, and Philip Morris Capital Corporation, an investment company. Altria's mission is to own and develop financially disciplined businesses that are leaders in responsibly providing adult tobacco and wine consumers with superior branded products.
Altria Client Services' role is to help Altria Group and its operating companies responsibly meet their business goals by providing the high quality services they require in a financially disciplined way. We are currently seeking a highly qualified Principal Scientist Industrial Toxicologist to join our Regulatory Sciences department in Richmond, VA.
The successful candidate will understand and maintain state-of-the art toxicological evaluation approaches that ensure that new products are acceptable for their intended use, meet regulatory requirements and advance business objectives. The incumbent will provide advice to Altria's family of companies based on scientific principles of human health risk assessment with emphasis on helping the business find viable product options and alternatives that drive harm reduction, innovation and speed-to-market. Responsibilities include understanding and using global regulatory and product safety assessment requirements, risk assessment modeling (e.g., QSAR) and reviewing product analytical and toxicological data. Since the position is highly interactive with colleagues and customers, the person hired for this job must have strong verbal and written communication skills as well as the ability to translate complex technical information into layman's terms.
Specific accountabilities include:
* Providing toxicological expertise and regulatory compliance strategies to R&D project teams and Altria business units.
* General knowledge of FDA Regulatory Requirements for various industries (e.g., Tobacco, Chemical, etc.).
* Leading and participating on internal product and regulatory teams to address product and regulatory challenges in collaboration with colleagues in Research & Development, Legal, Marketing, Sales, etc.
* Developing and promoting use of alternative toxicological methods to advance the science, drive innovation and influence current regulatory framework.
* Preparing, designing, reviewing, evaluating and interpreting toxicology studies (mammalian and in vitro).
* Preparing human health risk assessments in support of regulatory submissions worldwide.
* Supporting the Regulatory Sciences team for all product safety and regulatory compliance matters (FDA, etc.).
* Ph.D. in toxicology/pharmacology or life sciences
* DABT certification is preferred but not required
* 10+ years of experience in increasingly senior positions within the chemical, medical device or consumer packaged goods industry
* In depth knowledge of toxicology and risk assessment principles
* General knowledge of FDA Regulatory Requirements for Industry
* Ability to effectively manage complex, diverse work and topic areas
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Ability to influence without authority
* Strategic and critical thinking
* Broad knowledge of the business processes, product design and manufacturing
At Altria Client Services, we recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. We believe in developing the leadership potential of our employees by providing them with opportunities for training, development and advancement.
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our incentive compensation and deferred profit sharing programs as well as a relocation assistance package.
Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class.