Principal Software Architect 8/20/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Responsibilities
As one of the senior technical staff members within SPSS, the Principal Software Architect will operate as a member of the SPSS Architecture Team. This team was formed earlier in 2016 to include technical leaders from the cross-section of SPSS product development organizations, with a goal to simplify and integrate solutions we deliver to our public safety customer base. The SPSS team is defining and driving the microservices architecture of the future..
* Master's of Science in Computer Science, Engineering or similar STEM discipline preferred.
* Hands-on development experience with a publicly available SaaS product is highly desirable.
* It would be preferred that these would include projects within commercial product development organizations.
* Hands-on experience with open source software and of typical open source processes required. In particular, experience with modern, large scale data processing components including Hadoop, Storm, Redis and Kafka highly desired.
* Solid implementation skills are required.
* Experience with both infrastructure (web services) and client sides highly desired.
* Ability to lead solution design and the development of key artifacts including, but not limited to architectural models, process diagrams, concepts of operation, etc.
* Familiarity with cloud-based computing models including container-based deployment architectures and the DevOps approach to building and operating a large scale SaaS platform highly desired.
* Collaborate with cross-functional and cross-company Agile teams on planning and implementation.
* Identify and address bottlenecks in a complex, distributed system architecture; Lead performance optimization and performance tuning efforts, where required.
* Lead software and system architecture efforts across multiple product/solution development activities.
* Drive a culture of reusable shared microservices across the organization.
* This will require direct interfacing to product managers, sprint development teams, other architects inside/outside SPSS, and the Motorola Solutions' CTO organization.
* Experience with AWS, Spark, Kafka, Storm, CouchDB, MongoDB, Docker, CoreOS, and/or other leading modern open source server technologies is desirable.
* Familiar with high-availability (HA) and failover implementations for network infrastructure and server systems.
* Capability and willingness to absorb new information quickly and switch gears easily.
* Excellent English Language communications skills (verbal, written and presentation) are essential.
***Flexible Location; This position can be in one of these 4 MSI facilities: Chicago IL-Westminster CO- Salt Lake City UT-Birmingham AL*** *Bachelor s of Science degree in Computer Science Engineering or similar STEM-related discipline. *10+ years professional software development experience demonstrably within large enterprise or product development environments. *5+ years experience as a Software Architect supporting large-scale software development teams required. *2-3 years experience with developing and deploying software products in a leading cloud provider environment; AWS Google Azure etc.