Principal Software Engineer Site Reliability Engineering
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/12/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONPRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER - SITE RELIABILITY ENGINEERING
Staples is one of the top 5 internet retailers. Due to the our growth, Staples is seeking dynamic individuals who combine superb technical, analytical and communication skills to join our Site Reliability Engineering team. Have you ever wanted to be part of a start-up, but with backing of a multi-billion dollar company Do you want to work on cutting edge technology and drive key projects Now is your chance!
We are looking for experienced Software Reliability Engineers to join our team.
To be part of this high achieving team you need to be someone that has an abundance of intellectual curiosity, a self- motivated achiever, and excited to work with a team focused on innovation and delivering solutions that raise the bar. Our vision is to bring world-class e-Commerce expertise not only to Staples but also to our other web businesses in North American and globally across 26 countries over time.
The outstanding individual will work with both the business and technical teams to innovate and deliver new features and enhancements for the Staples.com platform. He will have a respected voice at the table for all project initiatives.
* Work with large scale distributed systems
* Production Datacenter and application site reliability engineering:
o HW Installs
o OS Installs
o System level troubleshooting
o Network Support
* Networking Engineering design and Implementation
* Cross continental multiple datacenter build out and support
* Manage and build out fault tolerant Self-Healing systems
* BCP design and implementation analysis
* Organic and inorganic capacity modeling and proactive provisioning
* Architecture Assessment for performance, availability and scalability
* Architecture and Design standards definition and enforcement focused on non-functional properties
* Tools Standardization; Code Quality tools enforcement - Code Coverage, Static analysis and Performance analysis
* Reduce technical debt (simplify complexity, avoid duplications, increase maintainability, productivity improvements)
* Automate the build and deploy process
* Administer Jenkins application across e-Commerce Domains
* Change Management
* Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
* Knowledge management
* Performance Monitoring and Tuning
* Establish Operational Level Agreements and SLAs
* Automate incident analysis and feedback
* Provide proactive site monitoring and alerts
* Automation Services
* DevOps Dashboard (including health checks)
* Capacity modeling
* Rollback and Recovery Modeling
* Storage design and backup modeling
* Self-provisioning services
* Single View of Support - Problem, Incident and Change Management
* Revenue-Performance Analysis
* Interface with horizontal team with focus on building trust among dev/QA/Business teams and help uplift the "Certainty factor" in product delivery lifecycle
* A BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Math, or related field, or equivalent experience
* 8+ years in Running Site Reliability for a large scale distributed system
* Software configuration management experience with tools like GIT, Stash, SVN, Sourcetree etc.
* 7+ years experience as a Software Development Engineer in Java, C++ or other relevant technologies
* Linux/Unix OS internals
* End to end infrastructure to platform to application setup experience
* Hands on experience with Storage systems (SAN, NAS etc).
* Hands on experience with Cloud implementations (Amazon AWS, VMware, Savvis etc.)
* Strong understanding of Networking & Database concepts
* Cloud background in distributed systems
* Experience in managing project timelines, executive communication
* 5+ years of prior experience and knowledge with web technologies such as HTML5, Java script, CSS, AJAX
* Strong ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams including: architects, engineers, and quality engineering and operations teams to build solutions
* Can effectively work with partners/customers
* Ability to design, code and test major features
* Ability to work as an individual contributor as well as in a team
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Strong drive in ensuring code quality and leading team to do the same
* Strong Consulting skills / influencing skills
* Excellent Business acumen
* Experience in agile development
_Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. _