Privacy Counsel (Chicago or Lincolnshire)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 11/22/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION
Privacy Counsel supporting Aon Hewitt
As part of an industry-leading team, you will help empower results for our clients by delivering innovative and effective solutions as part of our Compliance team. This position will be primarily based in Lincolnshire, IL.
Your Impact As Privacy Counsel
The Privacy Counsel will provide day to day legal expertise and support to the Aon Hewitt business across the United States on a wide range of privacy law matters. The Privacy Counsel will proactively manage compliance with Federal and State privacy statutes and regulations. The Privacy Counsel will have the opportunity to manage North America Privacy Team staff, including attorney and non-attorney contributors. The successful candidate will report to the Assistant General Counsel, North America Privacy Director.
The scope of the work will require the successful candidate to interface with senior levels of management and staff, data privacy regulators, legal department peers, and outside counsel. Working closely with the Assistant General Counsel, North America Privacy Director, the Privacy Counsel will provide support for new and existing projects and initiatives. The day to day responsibilities of the Privacy Counsel include:
* Serve as the primary point of contact for the Aon Hewitt business for privacy support.
* Provide counsel on a wide variety of data privacy matters, including government requirements, industry and client requirements, and best practices.
* Act as subject matter expert for privacy laws and regulations, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Gramm Leach Bliley Act (GLBA), the CAN-SPAM Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and various State privacy regulations.
* Provide advice on international data transfers, including the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework.
* Review and negotiate privacy and data protection terms with clients and vendors.
* Provide counsel on data breach investigations and management of breach response, including notification obligations.
* Identify business and compliance risks; provide support and advice to mitigate risks and ensure appropriate reporting.
* Support the development of tools to enable the business to embed appropriate data privacy protections into new and existing projects and offerings.
* Support the data privacy training and awareness program.
* Support efforts to implement and enhance Aon s privacy program. Perform privacy program oversight where needed, including performing risk assessments.
* Draft privacy statements, privacy notices, website disclosures, and/or mobile disclosures.
* Collaborate with Legal, HR, Procurement, and other senior leaders on privacy-related matters.
* Manage and provide leadership to North America Privacy Team staff, including both attorney and non-attorney contributors.
You Bring Knowledge and Expertise
* J.D. degree from an accredited U.S. law school, bar admission in good standing.
* 5-7 years of strong privacy law experience in a law firm or in-house legal position.
* Proven ability to lead attorney and non-attorney contributors to enable team success.
* Significant experience in providing counsel on HIPAA, GLBA, CAN-SPAM, TCPA, and State privacy regulations.
* Experience in providing counsel on international data transfers.
* Experience in providing counsel on data breach investigation and response.
* Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) accreditation preferred.
* Proven ability to win confidence and credibility with senior leaders and clients.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting.
* Demonstrated leadership in a professional setting.
* High level of self-direction and sound judgment.
* Ability to provide practical, timely solutions to business partners, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
We offer you
A competitive total rewards package, continuing education & training, and tremendous potential with a growing worldwide organization.
Our Colleague Experience:
From helping clients gain access to capital after natural disasters, to creating access to health care and retirement for millions, Aon colleagues empower results for our clients, communities, and each other every day. They make a difference, work with the best, own their potential, and value one another. This is the Aon Colleague Experience, defining what it means to work at Aon and realizing our vision of empowering human and economic possibility. To learn more visit Aon Colleague Experience.
Aon plc (NYSE:AON) is the leading global provider of risk management, insurance and reinsurance brokerage, and human resources solutions and outsourcing services. Our more than 72,000 colleagues worldwide empower results for clients in over 120 countries with innovative and effective risk and people solutions and through industry-leading global resources and technical expertise. To learn more visit aon.com.
JOB NUMBER: 2420196
CATEGORY: Law Group
LOCATION: United States, IL, Chicago