Product Development Director
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 11/1/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW:
The Director/Sr. Director of Product Development will be charged with building an expansive product roadmap to meet the customer s needs and improve upon Select Comfort's competitive position.
The role leads development of beds and adjustable bases, product innovation, vision and strategy to deliver unparalleled sleep experiences for the Sleep Number brand.
In this role you will lead Sleep Number s product development team to deliver meaningful consumer benefits that change people s lives through quality sleep. The ideal candidate will have a strong capability to target consumer and market trends to drive competitive advantage for the Sleep Number brand. This role requires strong strategic vision and execution combining feedback from consumer insights, competitive landscape, product development teams, field expertise and other constituents to define strategic vision, product lifecycles and the execution path supporting the company objectives, revenue and profit. You will partner cross-functionally across organizations to develop and achieve the multi-year sleep innovation product roadmap combining design, software and hardware to provide useful sleep products.
Critical thinking, collaboration, and strong leadership of development execution with cross functional partners on behalf of the customer are significant characteristics this individual must deploy. Additionally, this role will lead the stage gate development process within the organization working closely with consumer research, R & D, operations, manufacturing and I.T. and executive leadership.
* Bring forth consumer benefit driven innovation roadmap- that delivers consistent value for our customers and shareholders
* Oversee the product strategy: ensure a balanced portfolio approach on behalf of Sleep Number
* Strategic and financial portfolio management: optimize revenue, gross margin, pricing and value
* Be an expert at understanding the latest and greatest sleep technologies being used and drive awareness of how those connect to our business; strong perceptual acuity and ability to design for the future
* Evaluate business opportunities in partnership with peers to put into concept development research
* Product P&L responsibility: review COGS features and benefits to assess pricing projections in order to ensure that the strategic direction of a product is in line with overall company goals and financial objectives
* Financial Portfolio Management: revenue and profit & value equation/ Return on Investment
* Prepare, recommend and allocate financial resources for products/programs within forecasted guidelines and regulated expenditures
* PRD (Product Requirements Document) ownership: partner with Product Brand, SleepIQ and R&D teams to ensure product delivers on Sleep Number s key product values, features, benefits and experiential expectations
* Pricing, Value & NPS (Net promoter score): optimize product margins based on innovative features and benefits that are brought to market
* Lead, build, motivate, develop and manage a high performing team to develop leading edge innovative products: ensure team s priorities are in support of the product innovation roadmap
* Drive disciplined processes to support and execute new product launches and initiatives: accountable for on-time product releases
* Lead teams to establish overall product requirements, driving project plans and schedules and allocating resources and budgets
* Proactively identify and resolve strategic issues that may impair the team s ability to meet strategic, financial, and technical goals
* Manage prioritization and trade-offs among customer experience, product performance and operational support load
* Motivate and champion the efforts of cross-functional teams: partner with cross-functional leaders across the organization to identify and solve operational and execution issues
* Provide leadership and manage product management staff
* Bachelor s Degree: MBA Preferred
* Proven track record of bringing forth and executing iconic product introductions
* Strong cross functional leadership: demonstrated ability to engage teams and external partners to generate expected results
* The ideal candidate will have exceptional background in product strategy, development, project management and communications
* Preferred consumer durable background with longer consideration phase products, software experience a plus
* 10+ years experience in product management: holistic in approach, positioning and definition, to concept & feasibility to commercialization
* Holistic product management experience
* Expertise to identify how and where to compete with product line
* Strong business acumen and deep understanding of business financials, company P & L
* Highly skilled at solving problems with multiple variables in situation where minimal processes exist
* Ability to multi- task and manage many projects at the same time
* Exceptional communication skills and an ability to connect people with different points of view and with varying levels of experience
* Ability to make timely, data-driven decisions across new and existing product portfolio
* Experienced in translating ideas into specific qualified and quantified action items
* Ability to develop detailed plans with specific goals, priorities, timelines and budgets to effectuate ideas into products
* Strong people-leader to ensure the team meets or exceeds project deliverable timelines and functional objectives
* Coaching style of leadership to get the most out of the teams led, as well as cross-functional partnerships
* Highly accountable and partner to senior leadership
* Standard office environment
* Some travel required based on business needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and a drug free workplace (DFW).