Product Development Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/10/2016
END DATE 10/14/2016
Tree Top Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Product Development Manager is responsible for supervising the product development of NW Naturals formulated fruit ingredients, including the developing and succession of both knowledge and staff. Position will work in balance with others in order to meet project deadlines; participate in production trials; provide technical support to internal/external customers; and participate in company product and vendor presentations. Position is expected to be a working manager capable of working side by side with staff developing formulated fruit ingredients.
This position reports to the VP of Sales and Marketing and supervises a Product Developer, Food Technician, and Sample Desk Coordinator. The position works closely with the all departments and employees within NW Naturals, Tree Top product development team, suppliers, and customers (current and potential).
(The essential functions listed below are not intended to reflect all duties that may be assigned to this position. Tree Top may augment duties, including essential functions, at its discretion.)
* Provide leadership and supervision of the product development staff. Manage goals and objectives for direct reports. Provide formal and informal feedback through coaching, monitoring and evaluating job results.
* Develop new product formulas and review product formulas for verification. Work with the Research Chef to develop and create new product ideas and blends. Work with R&D team to help guide new product development and sample request. Ensure product meets the consistency, quality, and safety attributes requested by the customer. Develop and maintain finished goods costing, formulation, specifications and operating procedures.
* Manage projects of multidisciplinary teams in order to effectively scale up formulations from lab bench to commercial production. Provide strong technical support and leadership for cross-functional project teams. Provide ongoing development and process of the R&D team in conjunction with the technical manager. Provide customer service for R&D project advancement. Effectively communicate expectations and outcomes.
* Provide technical support to internal and external customers for the purpose of product development, sales and marketing visits, or industry related events. Develop and maintain professional relationships. Assist sales and marketing in developing and delivering effective customer presentations as needed.
* Perform other duties as assigned, including but not limited to: verifying certificate of analysis; performing standard testing of raw material ingredients and juice blends; updating sales team with R&D report on a monthly basis; and performing weekly sample meetings.
* Have regular attendance and work appropriate number of hours to get the essential functions completed.
* Perform under the Working Conditions described below.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ENTRY:
* Lab and pilot equipment, including process equipment and process and product testing requirements.
* Principles and practices of training, coaching and developing staff.
* Solid technical knowledge of food science discipline, including food processing and fruit attributes.
* General understanding of food laws and regulations.
* Mathematics and scientific weights and measurements.
* Strong understanding of scientific methodology.
* Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
* Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
* Effectively manage and lead multiple projects with multidisciplinary teams toward a shared goal.
* Interpret sensory and consumer preference data to make sound judgments or changes to a product formulation.
* Evaluate raw material and production costs and adjust formulations accordingly to meet a consumer target and price point objective.
* Duplicate formulas and make changes to existing formulas to meet target flavor profile.
* Accurately document formulas, specifications, and operating procedures.
* Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
* Accurately perform mathematical and scientific calculations.
* Speak in public and professionally interact at a technical level with internal and external customers and industry peers.
* Maintain confidential and sensitive information.
* Effectively organize, plan, and execute.
* Use computers and computer software including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
* Meet behaviors established in Tree Top s performance management and development process.
EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATION/LICENSES, AND TRAINING:
* A Bachelor s degree in Food Science or related field.
* Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in product development and/or food research & development.
* Minimum of 2-4 years supervisory experience in a technical role.
* Training in HAACP and Label Law are highly preferred.
* Constantly works in a lab environment, frequently has exposures to an office environment, and occasionally has exposures to an outdoors or manufacturing/plant environment
* Occasionally deals with highly confidential information
* Frequently works under tight time constraints or with business activities of a seasonal/cyclical nature
* Occasionally travels, including overnight stays, to other worksites, for off-site meetings, and for training purposes
* Occasionally works with dissatisfied or angry customers
* Physical requirements of the job:
* Frequently lifts up to 10 pounds and occasionally lifts up to 50 pounds
* Vision requirements: Constantly uses near vision and color vision
* Constantly talks, reaches, uses repetitive hand motions, listens/uses hearing, and/or tastes or smells
* Frequently lifts, stands, types, grasps, and/or sits
* Occasionally walks or pushes
* Types of exposures encountered: Occasionally has exposures to toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat/cold temperatures; and/or loud machine/equipment noise
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this job with reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis and depends, in part, on the specific requirements for the job, the limitations related to disability and the ability of the department/division to accommodate the limitation.
Those interested in being considered can submit their resume directly to Twyla DelPozzi firstname.lastname@example.org.