Product Safety Engineer (With relocation to Boca Raton, FL)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/27/2016
END DATE 12/6/2016
Tyco Fire and Security
Boca Raton, FL
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Responsibilities:
* Maintain current NRTL (TUV, UL) and CE product certification approvals. Interact directly with regulatory agencies.
* Acquire NRTL and CE certification on new products.
* Develop and execute test plans leading to product certification. Coordinate and manage tasks, schedules and due dates related to product certifications.
* Maintain and enhance TUV Supervised Manufacturer's Testing (SMT) program.
* Compile and maintain compliance documentation in a Technical Construction File.
* Provide regulatory certificates and reports to field personnel, customers, and import/export organizations.
* Participate in product development teams to assure product safety compliance during the design phase. Identify compliance issues and recommend solutions prior to product release.
* Develop and maintain lab and compliance work instructions, procedures and checklists.
* Analyze circuit board layouts for compliance with safety regulations including creepage and clearance, flammability ratings, etc.
* Investigate electrical components, materials, and mechanical components for proper ratings and compliance with safety regulations. Qualify new component and materials sources while maintaining product safety approvals.
* Perform lab tests required for demonstration of product safety such as Hi Pot Testing, voltage measurements, fault testing, impact tests, Ingress Protection (IP) Tests, etc.
* Provide training and guidance to less experienced engineers #external
* Experience with agency certifications and CB Scheme (e.g., TUV, UL, CSA, CE) required.
* Experience in electronic design for safety compliance
* Ability to manage projects from multiple sources and work independently to support aggressive product launch schedules
* Strong interpersonal skills desired.
* Current knowledge of the latest product safety standards and compliance requirements (e.g., EN 60950, CE Marking) including IP ratings, LED safety, UL Flame ratings, etc.
* Working knowledge of National Electrical code (NEC)
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Office - Word and Excel
* Ability to apply and understand advanced concepts of electrical and/or mechanical nature.
* Ability to read and analyze schematics and printed circuit board layouts. Expertise in evaluating circuit classifications and creepage and clearance according to standards.
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Ability to write technical reports, communicate both orally and in writing with engineering staff and agencies.
* Ability to operate lab equipment including oscilloscopes, AC power sources, HiPot testers, current meters, power meters, etc.
* BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent BSEE preferred
* 5 years of experience in a product safety role for office or IT type equipment. Candidate must have recent experience with product safety approval of products to IEC 60950.
* Experience with switching power supplies desirable.