Product Support Engineer - Networking/Data Center Solutions
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
San Jose, IL
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Position Description
Networking team needs to staff Level 3 Product Engineers (PE) to support growth across Lenovo's Networking/ Data Center Solutions. Product Engineering (PE) support of these products is based on OEM agreements between Lenovo and its networking partners.
This role serves as Lenovo's field interface to Lenovo/IBM Services (L1/L2), and our networking vendors. The Lenovo Level 3 PE will assist cases where Lenovo needs to maintain a client interface and/or additional problem isolation and determination between various data center HW/SW components
Product Engineer (PE) responsibilities will apply to the cases that require problem determination and isolation between the servers and routing/switching and storage devices at various Data Center network layers. This includes providing technical expertise to the field on problem determination / isolation and providing action plans to resolve client issues. The PE may also provide technical expertise in support of critical client situation resolution. The PE may engage the Development teams for the identification and analysis of design, architecture and process issues and for driving such issues to resolution. The PE is expected to manage pervasive field issues and provide field communication on fix releases.
Fluent spoken and written English communication skills is a requirement to interact with customers, Lenovo project managers and other engineers. It is expected that the PE will participate on internal and external conference calls to explain technical issues. The PE will also provide internal and external written technical communication.
Preferred candidate should have:
* Experience with routing and switching product lines including edge/access, distribution and core or leaf/spine devices
* Skills to troubleshoot data center networks to to determine root cause of any possible software or hardware issue
* Working knowledge on TCP/IP, IP Addressing architecture, Switching / Routing Protocols, VLANs, STP, LLDP, TACACS, SNMP, IGMP, DHCP, BGP, OSPF, RIP, PIM, VRRP, IPv6 and advanced technologies such as FCoE, Virtualization, virtual NIC, stacking, etc.
* Prior working experience with Juniper products
* Familiarity with performance tools likes IXIA, Spirent etc.
Product Engineer Core Responsibilities:
1. Use lab hardware to build up customer topologies and replicate failure scenarios
2. Work with Lenovo and its OEM Partner Level 3/Development teams to drive customer fixes to resolution
3. Participate in pre-GA activities, providing inputs from a customer perspective for bug scrub activities, external documentation review, HW change reviews, NPI projects, etc.
4. Interface with client teams and customers to explain technical solutions and provide a high level of customer satisfaction
5. Generate technical documentation for service personnel and clients to follow
6. Provide on-site assistance to resolve critical client technical issues (when required)
7. Maintain key data for products assigned (specifications, publications, Tips, defects, engineering changes and history, product roadmaps, lifecycle features and functions on release cadences)
8. For CRIT cases or client outages, position may require ability to project manage to urgently restore client outages
9. Ordering and maintaining capital assets and lab equipment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.