Production Supervisor (Area Lead- nightshift)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 10/17/2016
The J. M. Smucker Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONFor more than 115 years, The J. M. Smucker Company has been committed to offering consumers quality products that bring families together to share memorable meals and moments. Today, Smucker is a leading marketer and manufacturer of consumer food and beverage products and pet food and pet snacks in North America with annual net sales of approximately $8 billion. In consumer foods and beverages, its brands include Smucker's , Folgers , Jif , Dunkin Donuts , Crisco , Pillsbury , R.W. Knudsen Family , Hungry Jack , Caf Bustelo , Martha White , truRoots , Sahale Snacks , Robin Hood , and Bick s . In pet food and pet snacks, its brands include Meow Mix , Milk- Bone , Kibbles 'n Bits , Natural Balance , and 9Lives . The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality, People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence established by its founder and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about the Company, visit jmsmucker.com.
Area Leader (Nightshift Supervisor)
The primary functions of this role are as follows:
* Accountable for the daily operations and team performance (Safety, Quality, Reliability, Cost, Org. Capability)
* Responsible for team development, including skills building, performance management, staffing strategy and developing a "flow to the work" culture.
* Responsible for team's development to meet Preventive Maintenance, PR Reliability.
* Leads the Daily Shift Team Meeting.
* Leads the Operating Team Results Review.
* Accountable for ensuring safe behaviors are executed by the team including adherence to HSE/GMP systems.
* Manages issues that arise; accountable for driving to root cause and ensuring issue resolution.
* Responsible for leading and managing capital projects.
* Responsible for coaching and developing the Team Leaders and Operating teams to ensure performance targets are met or exceeded.
* Role models SQMS behaviors focusing on Safety, Quality and PR.
* Participates in technician performance assessments.
* Act as Sustainability Pillar leader for the plant.
* Conducts on the job training for new employees, and annual OTJ re-training of seasonal employees.
* Leads mechanic team to ensure all equipment is functioning properly to prevent contamination of fruit and maintain personnel safety.
* Directs production in an effective manner to obtain or exceed cost expectations, without sacrificing quality or safety. Must adapt quickly to changing production metrics, and be able to effectively guide the team regarding those changes, while adhering to all applicable laws and policies.
* Coordinates production activities with Assistant Supervisor, quality control personnel and maintenance personnel.
* Works with Assistant Supervisor to accurately complete production paperwork, head counts and timecards.
* Works closely with management, office, quality control, maintenance and hourly personnel to achieve goals.
* May relieve or assign relief to workers in the department. This may include doing manual labor, as needed.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree is required. A technical degree in an Engineering discipline or Food Science is preferred.
* Bilingual (English/Spanish) highly desired.
* Minimum of 2 years operations experience is preferred
* Experience leading, teaching or managing others effectively is preferred.
* Strong demonstrated leadership capability, ability to direct and delegate when necessary.
* Ability to lead in a union environment.
* Role models SQMS behaviors, Critical Thinking tools, Safety behaviors, and Sense of Urgency; shows ownership for people and results in their department.
* Budget management capability.
* Understands technical systems and terminology.
* Excellent inter-personal skills.
* Able to learn new technologies.
* Ability to work and manage within team environment.
* Strong organizational, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
* Effective presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to organize and prioritize actions to help meet plant objectives and long-term vision.
* Proven project management skills.
* Travel up to 15% of the time.
* Experience with ERP, AutoCad and Excel highly desired.
* Ability to work long hours: six days a week, on the night/graveyard shifts, during peak season.
* Able to meet all safety expectations including wearing the required personal protective equipment (PPE) and following all safe practices.
* Perform their roles and responsibilities in a safe manner
* Able to lift objects up to 50 pounds periodically
* Capable of standing and walking on a concrete floor for a significant amount of time during an 8 or 12 hour period
* Able to work with and around cleaning chemicals and may perform some cleaning duties
* Able to work in areas of extreme temperatures (hot/cold) periodically
* Able to give and discern the various visual and audible alarms and signals for equipment operation, evacuation, fires, etc
The J. M. Smucker Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, marital status, familial status, disability, genetic information, protected veteran/military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.