Project Engineer Intern
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/18/2016
END DATE 10/25/2016
Balfour Beatty Construction Inc
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description
We are looking to hire Interns for the summer of 2017. Intern/Co-Op is a training position for students to learn project engineering duties. The purpose of this position is to provide comprehensive support to Project Engineers as they focus on assisting Project Managers and Superintendents in building current and new business.
PROJECT FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
* Learn about managing the project budget by controlling expenditures, coordinating owner and subcontractor billings, identifying work not covered by subcontractor, and ensuring successful office support related to overall cost and schedule.
* Learn about Safety and Quality Control programs and how to coordinate actions to address problems.
* Learn about company procedures, the correspondence process and handling, etc. with the Office Manager in accordance with the Operations Manual.
* Learn how to review and process submittal data and shop drawings.
* Understand how to coordinate submittals, deliveries, etc. that affect the project schedule with the Superintendent.
* Monitor/review weekly and monthly status reports and weekly subcontractor meeting minutes, change orders, etc. to understand process.
* Understand change documents and change proposal requests for price review.
* May go with Project Engineer to meetings with architect and owner representatives to understand information required by owner, necessary progress reports and summaries, and how action plans from owner/architect meetings address all outstanding issues related to the project.
* Learn how changes, clarifications, directives, RFIs, etc. are updated on as-built plans and coordinated with company supervision and subcontractors/suppliers.
* Understand processing close-out documents.
* Learn how to maintain RFI logs, and change request log.
* Most work occurs on construction sites in an office trailer or an existing structure. Due to daily condition changes on construction projects, when employees are outside of the office trailer or structure they must wear appropriate personal protective equipment as required by the company's safety policies and as required for weather conditions.
* Currently enrolled in Construction Management, Engineering, or related education program; no experience required, prior internships or work experience helpful but not required.
* Prior experience or classes in mechanical and electrical systems is helpful but not required.
* Able to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
* Able to travel as needed to participate in training, seminars, task team meetings, etc.
* Demonstrate expanding knowledge of construction details about miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, radiation protection, etc.
* Strong computer skills including the ability to use word processing, spread sheets, etc. as well as the use of portable devices such as iPads.
* Possess good self-organizational and management skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Act in a manner of integrity that shows support for the company, its values, and the employees, while maintaining constant focus on meeting/exceeding customer requirements and expectations.
Balfour Beatty is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, gender, pregnancy or breastfeeding, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other status protected by state or federal law.
#LI-DNP Apply Now