This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 10/12/2016
Olin Chlor Alkali Products
Niagara Falls, NY
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Olin Chlor Alkali Products and Vinyls has an opening in the Niagara Falls, New York location for a Project Engineer. This role is responsible for planning and executing projects, developing the detailed and total scope of a project with a cost estimate and installation schedule and directing all required resources for installation including construction, maintenance, operations, vendor and inside/outside engineering support.
Olin Corporation is a leading vertically-integrated global manufacturer and distributor of chemical products and a leading U.S. manufacturer of ammunition. Olin Chlor Alkali Products and Vinyls is the world's leading producer or chlor alkali products and vinyls, the number one supplier of epoxy materials, the number one global seller of membrane caustic soda and chlorinated organics and the number one North American seller of chlorine, bleach and hydrochloric acid. Winchester's principal manufacturing facilities produce and distribute sporting ammunition, law enforcement ammunition, reloading components, small caliber military ammunition and components and industrial cartridges.
Essential Job Functions include:
* Provides troubleshooting and technical support to operations and maintenance to ensure plant operating objectives are achieved
* Provides technical leadership to a small group of temporarily assigned engineers, operators and or maintenance technicians to develop and implement new or improved chemical manufacturing processes
* Participates in defining engineering approaches and in planning and scheduling work
* Justifies, specifies, obtains approval, orders and installs processes and equipment
* Works with equipment suppliers and other vendors and contractors to ensure project goals are met
* Serves as engineering representative on capital projects and ensures successful completion of the assigned project phase within the budgeted, time, safety and cost constraints
* Assists with troubleshooting, gathering and analyzing data
* Analyzes, develops and recommends design changes/upgrades to existing equipment to improve reliability and meet production requirements
* Evaluates materials and/or metallurgy for long-term operability of equipment
* Updates P&IDs of plant processes with manufacturing equipment
* Participates in plant shutdowns/outages
* Maintains effective communication and coordination with area supervisors, plant engineers, production operators and maintenance technicians
* Participates in and/or lead Process Hazard Analysis (PHAs)
* Assists in developing policies, procedures and standards, including preventative maintenance
* Assists in tracking metrics and generating the monthly reports for area of responsibility
* Prepares reports in accordance with the company policies and submits by required deadlines
* Participates in plant audits and interfaces with internal and external auditors and regulatory and government agency personnel
* Helps develop the skills of maintenance, operations and management personnel by identifying, developing and presenting training opportunities
* Mentors junior level engineers
* Relieves operations supervisors as necessary
* Gathers information relating to improved plant operation and equipment and analyze it on the basis of feasibility and economics. Arrange duties of investigating, developing, planning and organizing into an efficient and orderly system for accomplishing the assigned project and for meeting objectives
* Prepares detailed scope of projects in conjunction with process engineering, maintenance and safety, environmental and manufacturing
* Prepare Capital Appropriation Requests (CAR) and sets up cost control and reporting for projects
* Prepares detailed specifications for materials and equipment to enable Purchasing to obtain competitive bids. Reviews bid analysis and makes recommendations to Purchasing
* Works with Engineering on PSM implementation, i.e., work practices, design and repair standards, mechanical integrity, management of change, Layers of Protection, etc.
* Reviews major purchases and capital projects to optimize life cycle costs
* Bachelor's degree* required; Chemical or Mechanical Engineering discipline preferred.
* Minimum of 5 years Engineering experience required; project role, process design, and project implementation experience preferred; process or chemical plant experience preferred; experience in Chlor-Alkali technology preferred.
* Specific work experience with managing vendor proposals and quotations, contractor bids and development of desired solutions for projects; previous experience in directly supervising contractors and vendors is preferred.
* Knowledge of fixed equipment and applicable codes (tanks, heat exchangers, piping, API, ASME, etc.)
* PSM experience (ability to lead PHAs, write MOCs, write Standard Operating Procedures and Standard Operating Conditions)
* Familiarity and experience with process data management systems (Pi)
* Demonstrated ability to problem solve and work in a team environment
* Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills - verbal and written
* Ability to learn and specify new control systems, technologies, schemes, solutions, etc.
* Demonstrated use of inventory software, order processing systems, project management software, spreadsheet and Microsoft Office systems; SAP experience preferred.
* Knowledge of OSHA 1910.119 PSM standard preferred
* Experience working in a union environment preferred
* Must be available for on-call and travel as needed
Olin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. M/W/Vet/Disabled.
*Degree must be from a school that is accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the Secretary of Education of the U.S. Department of Education