Project Engineer 8/26/2016
GSI Group, Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONCAREER OPPORTUNITY
Novanta, Inc. - JADAK
Syracuse - Syracuse, NY US (Primary)
The Project Engineer is an interdisciplinary role that ensures that the customer's needs are satisfied throughout a system's entire life cycle. The Project Engineer is responsible for the overall product and system design and ensures delivery of a robust technical solution that is capable of meeting all aspects of the customer s requirements. The individual must work cross-functionally with the Program Manager, Customer, Test, Manufacturing and Operations teams to develop product requirements, identify and mitigate technical risk, diagnose and solve problems, and prescribe tests to assess system performance and increase the manufacturability of the solution. The Project Engineer will guide the technical team in designing all aspects of the system and developing verification and validation tests to demonstrate system compliance to design specifications and customer requirements.
* As a technical extension of the Program Manager, position is responsible for all technical aspects of the system design
* Provides the technical direction for Software, Mechanical and Test Engineers in activities which are focused on the Customer Requirements, Manufacturability, Reliability and Verification of the system.
* Responsible for developing the Requirements Specification (QF15), Design Specifications (QF17), DFMEA (QF74) and Verification and Validation Plan (QF18) for a project.
* Defining Customer Requirements:
* The Project Engineer is required to communicate and interact effectively with the customer on all technical aspects of the project.
* The Project Engineer interprets customer requirements in order to deliver a design capable of meeting functional, performance and regulatory requirements.
* The Project Engineer works on site with the customer to support technical meetings, systems integration and trouble-shooting.
* The Project Engineer proactively conducts feasibility testing to ensure the technology is fundamentally capable of fulfilling long term life cycle requirements.
* System Design: (Note: This phase includes Architectural and Module Design)
* Works with other Engineers to design the system architecture and lower level design components in order to satisfy customer requirements.
* Initiates and conducts detailed system design reviews throughout the lifecycle of the project.
* Works closely with Machine Vision Engineers to ensure their requirements are identified and accounted for in the system design.
* Creates and maintains the Design Specification
* The Project Engineer takes a hands-on approach throughout the design and development process.
* The Project Engineer utilizes tools such as Design FMEA to identify and assess program risks with the help of the cross-functional team, record and prioritize risks, and develop mitigation plans.
* Verification and Validation:
* Develops a Verification Plan to determine design limits and detect software bugs to ensure the entire system is capable of meeting the customer requirements.
* Designs and facilitates the execution of a Verification and Validation Plans to ensure the final design meets customer functional, performance and regulatory requirements.
* Develop the Production Use-Case Test Requirements and Validation Plan to ensure long term conformance of the product during production.
Required Experience, Education, Skills and Competencies:
* Bachelor s degree minimum in an Engineering Discipline (Electrical, Software, Mechanical)
* 8-10 years of experience in Technical leadership or other related experience
* Experience with engineering management preferred
* Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
* Detail oriented and thorough
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Strong working knowledge of MS Suite including MS Project
* Mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer.
* Ability to use vison to read computer screen and read printed materials.
Novanta is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to physical or mental disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other protected federal, state/province or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.