Project Engineer 8/16/2016
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY As a Project Engineer at The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, you will serve a critial role in sustaining operations for the world's largest living history museum!
You will have overall responsibility for implementation of assigned projects; delivering projects on schedule and within budget. You will prepare the budget for the project executive by obtaining detailed cost estimates for design and construction and, once approved, submit documents for project funding. You will also be responsible for management of every aspect of projects during conceptual phase, design, construction, turnover/startup, and for communicating progress and significant issues to the project executive. May also function as the construction manager or supervise the construction manager.
JOB DETAILS (not all-inclusive):
- Forms project teams by identifying the key players and including them in the project process.
- Leads project teams to develop and document project objectives, business plan, project implementation plans and proposals.
- Works with facilities and landscape staff to obtain input on design and problem solving.
- Works with management to evaluate project financials, objectives and priorities.
- Leads the development and documentation of comprehensive scope of work. Controls growth of scope of work.
- Performs budget and construction estimates.
- Prepares project schedules by determining the phases and elements of the project, including timelines for approvals and permits. Determines critical path of the schedule.
- Manages communication and distribution of project information and documents.
- Conduct feasibility studies and evaluate design alternatives, including safety elements, customer requirements, performance standards, energy efficiency and code requirements.
- Perform and/or supervise staff or consultants in preparation of design development documents, construction plans, and specifications.
- Leads design process by including all key players in design development to ensure safety, ease of operation and maintenance, functionality, durability, and end results meets the customer's needs.
- Holds design working meetings and holds design review meetings to obtain input from all stakeholders.
- Prepare project bid packages for competitive bidding, hold bid meetings and manage bid process.
- Reviews and evaluates contractor bids; interviews most competitive contractors to determine an award recommendation to management.
- Through project coordination meetings and other forms of communication, oversees and coordinates the technical aspects of the project.
- Oversees site safety, construction, quality control and site conditions.
- Prepares status reports and regularly monitors budgets, project expenses, contractors' adherence to design and quality of work, and schedules.
- Controls and manages change orders.
- Keeps accurate records and electronic data base of all elements of the projects.
- Presents procedures, rules and regulations to those involved in the project; maintains a safe, clean and productive environment through enforcing procedures and policies. Maintains project integrity and reputation through compliance with state and federal regulations.
SUPPLEMENTARY WORK TO BE PERFORMED
- Function as a technical resources for facilities staff and management.
- May create and lead ad hoc teams to address specific issues or accomplish specific tasks, such as special events.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
- Proven track record in managing a safe worksite. Knowledge of OSHA and environmental regulations.
- Demonstrates sound knowledge of principles and concepts in own discipline, and broad knowledge and solid understanding of other engineering, architecture, construction, and contract administration.
- At least ten years of experience in engineering practice and experience in project management.
- Strong knowledge and proven abilities in project management methods, budgeting, employee supervision and personnel management.
- Work well in a fast-paced environment, competent in handling simultaneously occurring tasks and projects.
- Have excellent written, oral communication and report writing skills.
- Ability to identify and resolve complex issues. Ability to perform root-cause analysis.
- A strong work ethic and a "can-do" attitude.
- Knowledge of preservation techniques and architectural practices.
- Ability to read construction drawings and specifications for civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, fire and security, and plumbing systems.
- Experience designing MEP systems and skilled at performing design drawings using AutoCAD.
- PE License in Mechanical Engineeringpreferred.