Project/Test Engineer - Taylor, MI (Shakers) 9/2/2016
SGS North America
JOB DESCRIPTIONPROJECT / TEST ENGINEER
SGS Automotive Services N.A., a division of SGS Group based in Geneva Switzerland, provides commercial and statutory automotive related services to our clients in the US, Canada, and Mexico. SGS Automotive is a vehicle inspection company for the study, development and application of technologies for motor vehicle testing, diagnostics, repair, technician training, and information management.
Coupled with developing and managing Inspection and Maintenance programs, SGS also provides a wide range of commercial automotive industry inspection services such as New Car, Off-Lease, certified pre-owned, auction, B2B online, and dealer testing, inspection, and certification services. Recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity, we employ over 53,000 people and operate a network of more than 1,000 offices and laboratories around the world.
The project / test engineer consults with customers to define test plans, works with technicians and other support personnel to perform burner/electrodynamic shaker testing, performs data quality checks, and analyzes, interprets and delivers data to the customer.
Located in Taylor, MI
Responsible for hardware & test development activities related to burner/shaker test services and burner hardware development.
* Reports to the Director of Engineering
The project engineer works with test operations team to diagnose and resolve problems with test equipment. The project engineer working with operations seeks to develop common operations tasks, and develops and improves test procedures.
* Direct all aspects of burner/electrodynamic shaker testing projects
* Leads test planning, execution, data quality checking and data delivery
* Perform data analysis and interpret results to help guide experiments
* Diagnoses and resolves test cell equipment problems in a timely manner
* Clearly communicates with operations/technicians project requirements and timing
* Work with customers to define test requirements and develop test plans
* Be accountable for meeting test and development project objectives and meeting quality objectives. Directly interacts with customers towards providing best-in-class service.
* Work with technicians to conduct burner tests and maintain test cell operation closely following the defined process.
* Configure the test cell automation system for testing, including channel set-up, calibration, programming of test sequences, and set-up of measurement instruments
* Coordinate with Operations to ensure combustion air, engine cooling, fueling, electrical, and emissions sampling subsystems are adequate for each project
* Ensure best engineering practices are followed
* Update internal procedures and develop new procedures as required
* Quality check all test cell configurations, programming, and test data
* Seek opportunities to improve the safety of the laboratories and processes. Develop and carry out tasks to continuously improve the safety of the operation.
* Reviews requirements and specifications from users, managers, customers, and other stakeholders.
* Reviews and understands the governing requirements and specification from ISO, SAE, US EPA, state government, UL, ETL, or other agencies and organizations.
* Identifies potential quality issues and risk factors.
* Identifies actual or potential deficiencies and areas for improvement in accuracy, reliability, durability, and/or responsiveness, and advocating for appropriate improvement actions with senior management.
* Authors and implements test plans, procedures, requirements and test traceability matrices.
* Executes hardware QA/QC verification, certification, and testing activities.
* Evaluates test equipment performance.
* Identifies and handles non-conforming components.
* Produces and delivers Quality/Project Reports.
* Represents the company at meetings with customers and suppliers.
* Performs other duties as directed
* At all times, comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct.
* Bachelor s degree in engineering BSME required.
* Hands on engineer, enjoys getting equipment operational.
* 3 years of relevant professional experience, in engineering assignments.
* Previous experience in electrodynamic shaker validation of exhaust systems/ exhaust systems components is a plus.
* OEM experience in heavy duty or light duty exhaust system engineering / validation.
* Specific knowledge of relevant ISO, SAE, US EPA, BAR, UL, or ETL requirements also a plus.
* Strong and sound technical ability, particularly related to hardware testing.
* Solid understanding of quality assurance processes (requirements analysis, root cause analysis, structured testing, test planning and execution, test documentation, troubleshooting, defect tracking, etc.).
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills with both technical and non technical colleagues.
* Strong attention to detail and organization.
* Ability to handle multiple projects and priorities.
* Ability to work additional hours as needed.
* Language Skills: ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional
journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to
questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
* Mathematical Skills: ability to calculate figures and amounts such as mean, median, mode, standard deviation, sum, cross tabulations, discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
* Able to work in a varied, fast paced environment.
* Willing to travel occasionally to client, supplier, or other sites.
* A team player willing to teach and to learn from others.
* Able to work independently and efficiently to meet team deadlines and goals, while appropriately
raising issues to management.
* Able to promptly respond to support related email, phone calls and other electronic communications.
* Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized.
* Excellent with communications (oral and written), interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills.
HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES:
* Demonstrates strong commitment to SGS HSE Policies, Procedures, and Work Instructions by participating in safety meetings, completing required training, intervening in unsafe situations, refusing unsafe work, and complying fully with all applicable laws and regulations related to HSE.
* Responds appropriately to emergency situations and assists other staff members in maintaining readiness to respond to emergencies within the workplace.
* In accordance with the SGS HSE Management System requirements, disposes of, or directs the disposal of, waste generated as a part of daily work performed in a safe manner and in compliance with all waste transportation and disposal regulations and requirements.
* Reports all incidents (actual incidents and near misses) in accordance with the SGS Incident Reporting requirements.
* Uses all equipment (including safety equipment) in the manner intended and reports any damaged / lost equipment to supervisor.
* Maintain a safe and tidy worksite.
* Maintains awareness of hazards and proposes controls to supervisor, HSE Representatives or relevant client / site contact.
* Actively participates in incident investigations and risk assessments as deemed necessary by SGS management.