Public Policy Counsel 8/10/2016
Redwood City, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Public Policy Counsel
We are more than lawyers protecting Equinix s interests. We are valued business partners, known as responsive, consistent and proactive. We take customer service seriously and strive for excellence in our execution. Equinix s dynamic growth trajectory keeps us on our toes and constantly learning. Our strong
relationships with our internal clients, fueled by our solution-driven orientation and creative yet practical advice, bring us to the table early and often and lead to interesting and rewarding work directly in support of Equinix s strategy.
Our global legal team may span four continents, but we are One Legal - a true team working together across borders in support of our shared strategic objectives. We work hard but take time to celebrate our accomplishments both professional and personal, with a healthy dose of fun thrown in along the way. We look forward to coming to work every day to support Equinix and each other and highly value the team first culture we have created. We are proud that our collective effort has led to Equinix One Legal being named as one of the Top Innovative Law Departments in North America by the Financial Times (FT, December 2015).
The One Legal team at Equinix is seeking our first Public Policy Counsel . This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced candidate to build our public policy agenda and then interact with political leaders and government officials to explain our products and services and promote the growth of internet infrastructure.
The successful candidate will provide leadership in the following key areas:
* Identify emerging public policy issues related to the Company s mid- and long-term business plans globally and develop internal and external policy positions, strategies and analyses to influence the external environment and advance the Company s business priorities.
* Manage day-to-day portfolio of the Company s public policy agenda at the federal level, in states where the Company maintains a physical presence and in countries where the Company does business.
* Participate in the development of the Company s public policy agenda through regular meetings and ongoing communications with the Company s senior leadership team.
* Drafting policy papers for internal education.
* Develop an internal process for handling public policy matters that arise on an emergency or unexpected basis so that the Company is prepared to respond in such cases.
* Identify public policy coalitions and trade associations aligned with the Company s public policy agenda and serve as the primary point of contact for the Company s participation in those organizations.
* Develop working relationships with key legislators and their staffs/committee staffs and regulators to effectively advocate the Company s public policy agenda.
* Develop internal resources to educate employees about the Company s public policy agenda.
* Work with the Company s public relations team and others to develop a robust set of materials that:
* Educate policymakers about the Company s business objectives, its importance to the foundational operations of the Internet, and its plans for future growth.
* Position the Company as a thought leader on central issues of importance to the Company.
* Help the public understand the role the Company plays in the daily operations of the Internet.
* Emphasize the positive economic and cultural benefits of the Company s global growth.
* Explain the use of a REIT structure for the Company as a net benefit to growth.
* Promote the Company s commitment to energy-efficiency and environmentally-friendly policies.
* Five to seven years of experience in government relations positions, including prior service in state or federal legislative/regulatory bodies
* Law degree and active member in good standing in at least one state Bar (California or Washington DC preferred); bachelor s or master s degree in public policy a plus
* Exposure to policy issues in the areas of:
* Technology and the Internet
* Cybersecurity and Data Privacy
* Environmental and Sustainability Standards/Energy Use of Corporations
* International, Federal and State Tax Policy
* Demonstrated high level of integrity, thoroughness, flexibility, initiative and teamwork
* Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal communication skills
* Excellent judgment
* Position based in either Redwood City, CA (HQ) or in Washington, DC area