Qualified Conductor - IA, IL, MO
Canadian Pacific (TSX:CP)(NYSE:CP) is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to eight major ports, including Vancouver and Montreal, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of Canadian Pacific.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Oversee the safe operation of trains and help ensure that the trains reach their destinations in a timely and efficient manner. Vital role in helping CP achieve its objectives. Looking for candidates to start in Quarter 4 of 2016 and/or Quarter 1 of 2017 in the following locations: Davenport, IA; Mason City, IA; Marquette, IA; Kansas City, MO; and Savanna, IL.
* Inspection of freight cars, coupling air hoses and performing airbrake tests, replacing broken air hoses and gaskets, replacing missing or broken knuckles, adjusting drawbars, coupling and uncoupling cars and locomotives, climbing and hanging on ladders on the sides of cars to apply and release hand brakes
* Give, receive, and interpret hand signals
* Read and interpret track flags, block and interlocking and other fixed signals
* Have a thorough understanding of and follow General Code of Operating Rules (GCOR), Soo Line Railroad System Timetable/Special Instructions, General Orders and Bulletins as they pertain to the safe movement of trains, goods, and hazardous materials, ensuring the safety of CP employees and the general public
* Apply corresponding Rules/Special Instructions of foreign railroads, where applicable
* Complete documentation as required and must ensure all departure and arrival procedures are carried out to standard
* Plan and perform setouts and pickups, switching and service of on line industries
* Must be able to handle emergency situations and operate fire extinguishers as well as be able to apply first aid techniques
* Must safely and efficiently perform all other duties as required
* Must currently be a qualified Conductor
* Must be available for call 24 hours per day and able to work irregular hours, with holiday and weekend work included
* Work performed may be for periods of time up to 12 hours long
* Must respond to and be at the designated work site within two hours of receiving a call
* Work schedules are irregular and are determined by the rotation of the extra board including weekends and holidays
* Outdoor work in all types of weather conditions
* Walking distances on railroad roadbeds
* You should consider the long-term effect of the above lifestyle on your personal and/or domestic situation
* Must pass a written examination prior to completing the training
* Must possess good communication skills, work efficiently with minimum supervision.
* Required to accept mandatory promotion to locomotive engineer and attend Student Engineer Training. This can occur any time after 1 year of train service experience
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
* Flexible and competitive benefits package
* Employer Funded Retirement Plan
* Employee Share Purchase Plan
* Annual Fitness Subsidy
* Part-time Studies Program
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a Safety critical position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
* Criminal history check
* Reference check
* Last 3 years of driving history
* Social Security number verification
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.