Quality Assurance Specialist
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2016
END DATE 11/16/2016
Kansas City, MO
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS JOB:
The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
This position is responsible for ensuring the overall quality in their assigned areas through the management of regulatory, company, and customer policies, programs and work instructions. Ensures all products meet company specifications and are produced in a wholesome manner that meets Company requirements. This requires working closely with other departments on production issues/situations, product dispositions and investigations into root causes for deficiencies. Must assist in managing quality programs and exercising technical expertise, including training, assessing performance and making improvements.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
45% Quality Verification & Regulatory Compliance
* Conduct all quality inspections in the area of assigned responsibility and manage quality programs.
* Maintain quality objectives, prevent complaints/claims and keep quality to specifications through accurate inspections, non-compliance procedures, appropriate reporting, corrective actions and accuracy of paperwork along with sample submissions. Routine verifications and inspections include process, metal detector, cooking, and chilling type checks.
* Responsible for catching product that is out of specification by stopping the production process or removing product for rework as required. Works with other departments to implement procedure changes, based on predetermined specifications, involving raw materials/finished goods to remedy the cause of any non-compliance as quickly as possible.
* Ability to interpret customer/sales specifications and apply subjective quality decisions to product (i.e.: product appearance, color, texture, etc.).
35% Sanitation & Food Safety Support
* Employee is required to conduct operational and pre-operational sanitation inspections including micro sampling to verify the effectiveness of sanitation activities. The duties include regular completion of Quality and Food Safety, CQP/CCP, and sanitation paperwork which should ultimately result in no food safety deviations.
* GMP and Sanitation audits are conducted as directed with documented corrective actions and follow-up as necessary.
* The employee is required to take action in response to poor observations by identifying/correcting deficiencies for negative micro or shelf life data in their area of responsibility with an eye toward improvement.
20% Quality Improvement
* Utilize technical expertise to prevent process or product failures. Continuous improvement of product quality through attention to process is expected.
* Activities will include QA program management, training line and other QA employees in quality functions, daily product shows, assessing specs and updating Operations, monitoring giveaway and yields for opportunities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
* Associate or Bachelor's degree and two plus years of experience; or high school diploma or GED and four plus years of related experience.
* Ability to create, revise and interpret technical documents such as quality specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
* Knowledge and understanding of quality assurance principles, food science and meat processing, Statistical Process Control (SPC), and statistics.
* A high level of technical expertise, ownership and practical knowledge of all QA/regulatory programs.
* Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
* Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
* Ability to work on the internet, Spreadsheet, Presentation and Word Processing software.
* Comprehensive experience and understanding of USDA Rules and Regulations.
* Ability to uphold regulatory, company, and customer standards.
* Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Strong oral and written language skills.
* Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
* Strong conflict resolution skills.
No direct reports but in the absence of a QA Manger or Supervisor may take responsibility as required in the delegation of duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. * Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
* Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
* Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.