Rails Developer 8/31/2016
San Diego, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Amco International is an education technology company teaching kids fluent English all over the world.
We started as one man's vision to solve a simple problem for the students of his own school. In a little over a decade, we've grown into an international multi-million dollar company positively affecting the lives of over 150, students a year.
We've remained true to our roots in education, innovation, and focusing on results. Today we have a great team with a passion for what we do that feels like a family.
We're looking for just the right people to join our team. We are currently searching for junior and mid level Rails Developers, however we will definitely entertain the possibility of a Senior Rails Developer!
SO, WHERE DO YOU FIT INTO ALL THIS
* You're someone who lives and breathes the web and is looking for a role that really stretches your abilities.
* If you want interesting problems, end-to-end ownership, a solid team and full control and responsibility for achieving specific business outcomes.
* If you're looking for a mid-size team working on projects and products that make a difference in an environment without egos or agendas.
* If you can research and solve problems independently or within a team but can't wait for the feedback cycle of a PR.
* We release early and often, and we love tests. Our most cherished engineers are those that delete the most lines of code :)
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT TO WORK ON
When you apply at a company you want to have some idea of the kinds of projects you may eventually help with, here is just a small list of what we're currently working on:
* Beautiful rich content mobile apps for our teachers and students
* Modern era learning management systems
* Highly automated publishing platform using cloud storage
* Many open source forks and submissions
* Third party payment services for other publishers using our publishing platform
* Student accreditation platforms in partnership with SDSU
WHAT SKILLS DO YOU NEED
If we sound like a good fit for you culturally, and if our problems pique your interest, please see if you're what we need...
* You love Rails and -- as much as a framework can -- Rails loves you back
* You actually know Ruby too
* You have strong opinions about which JS frameworks to use when or at all
* You're a webstack native, using CSS & JS everywhere they belong, nowhere they don't
* Experience with CouchDB or other document DBs a big plus
* You have a passion for creating elegant solutions to ugly problems
* Even if you love Ruby, you still have affairs here and there with other programming languages
WHAT WE TRY TO AVOID IF POSSIBLE
We've developed some highly effective metrics for filtering applicants. You can still try, but you're probably not what we're after if your CV...
* Lists strengths that end in .net
* Contains the word "enterprise" (even as an acronym Mr J2EE)
* Mentions an IDE or word processor as a skill
* Is only readable in software that costs money or runs on one OS
* Contains any _speling_ errors
You can try to remove those things from your CV and sneak it past me, but we have a team of highly trained kittens who can sniff out fakers.
WHAT ELSE CAN WE TELL YOU ABOUT AMCO
* We're in downtown San Diego, California.
* This is an on-site role (yes yes yes, I've heard it all before, remote-working is the future. Let's just agree that it's not you, it's me - the role is still on-site).
* Pay is negotiable, so bring your A game. We have great medical options and 401k 2% matching.
* We have 10% Friday where you spend the afternoon working on whatever you want. Then we break out into gaming (usually FIFA on PS4), your choice of craft beer and pizza.