Refrigeration Mechanic, 1st Cl (EAST CAMPUS)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 11/16/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT
Works under minimal supervision, but follows standard policies and procedures, performs both routine and complex inspection, repair maintenance and installation of air conditioning systems, heating systems, automation systems, and refrigerated equipment throughout the hospital facilities using manuals, specifications, and blueprints. Responds to problems in all trades as needed. And always keeping the office staff informed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Determines the cause of a problem and repairs air conditioning, air handling, DDC systems, and refrigeration equipment such as reciprocating equipment, low temperature freezers, walk-in boxes, and ice machines.
2) Plans the layout of complete air conditioning refrigerant piping systems according to specifications, blueprints, manuals and drawings. Installs systems and checks electrical, pneumatic, and DDC control systems.
3) Coordinates the efforts of electrical, mechanical, plumbing and/or other supporting trades personnel in the installation of smaller projects/renovations.
4) Starts up and winterizes large, complex cooling and heating systems by performing tasks such as draining or adding refrigerant, cleaning coils, lubricating, checking blade pitch on fan, checking DDC, electric, and pneumatic controls for safety and operation, checking balance of system.
5) Performs the function of a refrigeration mechanic working on systems of all levels of complexity, including:
a. Inspecting air handling refrigeration and air conditioning equipment throughout the MGH-East campus utilizing test equipment, and making corrections as required.
b. Performing routine repairs and adjustments.
c. Performing preventive maintenance work on a scheduled basis.
d. Performing complex system air balance.
e. Ordering supplies, equipment and parts.
f. Completing records and forms as required.
g. Changing air filters.
6) Responds to problems of all trades such as carpentry, locksmith, plumbing and electrical as needed.
7) Responsible for snow removal as needed.24/7 365
8) Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
9) Must be available for off-hour page coverage on a rotating basis.
1) Works throughout the MGH-East campus and satellites including roofs and equipment areas where there is exposure to dust, dirt, heat, noise. And weather conditions
2) Occasionally exposure to hazards from soldering and braising and to radiation and biohazards in working with air flow problems, however, attention to safety precautions minimizes risks.
3) Compliance with the Hospital and department rules on uniforms in addition to the Buildings & Grounds policy and procedure manual.
4) The use of safety equipment such as: respirators, safety glasses, safety shoes, etc. on specific job assignments.
5) a) Pass respirator clearance exam, b) along with compliance with Hospitals universal precaution rules.
6) Understand and practice patient confidentiality (HIPPA)
7) Understand and practice infection control through proper dust containment. Understand the use of the environmental containment booths.
8) Provide own hand tools
9) Overtime is required.
10) Is subject to call any time for emergencies due to increment weather, special project or plant failure.
11) Is subject to work in mechanical rooms with running equipment, steam pipes, and outside areas subject to weather conditions, etc.
12) Works in patient areas and laboratories.
13) Work requires regular walking, standing and climbing of ladders.
14) Occasionally (less than 15% of the time) must exert effort to lift over seventy pounds.
May be required to train and supervise others
Complete daily time charges via IPAD for charge-back purposes.
1) Completion of one to two years formal training program in heating, ventilation, and refrigeration, or its equivalent. Current Refrigeration license and CFC certificate is required. Three to five years related experience.
2) General knowledge of basic electricity, plumbing and mechanics and a high level of knowledge of refrigeration and air flow principles.
3) Knowledge of automation systems.
4) Ability to read blueprints and schematic drawings.
5) Physical ability to climb ladders, and walk or stand almost constantly. Occasionally (less than 15% of the time) must exert effort to lift over seventy pounds. Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.