Regional Safety Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/13/2016
END DATE 12/1/2016
UTi Worldwide Inc.
This position is responsible to provide day to day HSE support to site leadership and operating teams within designated Region. Support includes coaching, teaching and training field personnel on safe operating behaviors and the design, development and implementation of safety and risk control programs. This position will need to ensure that the Groups Health, Safety & Environmental Policies & Procedures are specific within the UTi CL environment and that sites within that region are complying with all statutory requirements (including but not limited to OHSAS 18001:2007 & ISO 14001:2004) where applicable. This position functions as a subject matter expert and consultant to help internal clients build sustainable loss improvement processes within their operating organizations and co-coordinating initiatives within all regions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Regional Safety Manager will manage highly technical HSE subject matters with site management teams, corporate HSE, external regulatory agencies, and provide strategic leadership and talent development for site-level staff to ensure program effectiveness. The Regional Safety Manager will be responsible for developing, implementing and managing HSE programs directed at ensuring regulatory compliance while growing a self-directed behavioral safety culture, improving HSE performance ensuring current and anticipating HS&E compliance requirements moving the company to best in class industry HSE standards.
Additional responsibilities include the assisting in the administration of the Workers Compensation
* Co-ordinates all HSE initiatives and programs for the region.
* Supports and promotes safe practices and environmental commitments in alignment with company commitments, policies, and compliance requirements.
* Provide training and coaching to local Health & Safety Managers to ensure technical competence and leadership development within across the region.
* Creates a positive partnership with Facility Leadership and serves as point of contact for safety related matters.
* Liaison on safety issues or safety policy changes from customer to UTi Personnel.
* Representative for UTi in Safety, Health and Environmental role.
* Conduct HSE audits and assessments of on-going operations to measure compliance with regulatory requirements and conformance to company policies
* Plans, administers, and manages organization safety polices, programs, procedures, and systems for assigned region
* The UTi representative for OSHA, EPA or other State and Federal regulatory agencies and address any issues that may arise on a site level for that region.
* Fosters teamwork and pride in the company safety program
* Publishes Monthly Safety topics and training for Site level use.
* Ensures compliance with local Health, Safety & Environmental laws & by laws as well as customer specific requirements i.r.o. Health, Safety & Environment for the region.
* Conducts pre-operational risk assessments on new sites, design, propose and implement risk mitigation measures within the region
* Monitors HSE controllers & Site Managers in executing safe work practices and adherence to standards
* Provides HSE improvement proposals
* Assists in the investigation of the root cause HSE complaints put forward by staff members, customers, clients and contractors
* Follows up to ensure that corrective actions are implemented where necessary and ensures that any certification requirements are complied with
* Assists in the coordination in the investigation of accidents and near misses; reviews and analyzes these accidents and near miss incidents and make corrective action recommendations working together with site safety managers.
* Ensures that within the region, operations employees, contractors and site visitors receive HSE inductions
* Coordinates with site safety managers -Safety, Health & Environment system plans are in line with Quality Management Systems policies and procedures
* Ensures implementation of emergency procedures (BCP & EDP).
* Coordinates and delivers HSE training regionally (where and when required)
* Ensures that all sites risk registers within the region are up to date and that the following are current and on file:
* Current baseline risk assessment (HIRA)
* Routine / Non routine risks
* Environmental risks
* Health risks
* Job hazard analysis
* Mini risk assessment before critical tasks are perform
* Assists in the publication of the year end OSHA 300 log for the region.
* Assists in the completion of OSHA surveys
* Assists in providing information on HSE for RFP submissions
* Communicates all problems and questions to operations managers.
* Follows all safety procedures at all times.
* Responsible for all equipment, supplies, documents, and materials related to job.
* Responsible for following all UTi policies and procedures.
* Complies with all federal, state, and local regulations.
* Communicates with all levels of staff and public as appropriate to the job.
May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Education and/or Experience
* Minimum 5 years experience in a medium to large warehouse in a HSE management capacity supervising 5 or more employees.
* Bachelor s Degree.
* Prior experience in safety observations/inspections, developing and implementing compliance strategies and plans.
* Knowledge of safety and health management systems and practices.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
* Strong computer skills are required;
* Proficient use of MS Office Applications;
* Proficient knowledge of ERP systems Preferably: SAP/R3;
* WM systems: Preferably SAP, WM4000, Manhattan Associates WMOS or Red Prairie.
* English (reading, writing, and verbal)
* Intermediate skills are required, as well as the functional use of spreadsheets to develop trends and track reactions to safety programs.
* Excellent training skills
* Good communication, supervisory and people skills are essential
* Strong project management and analytical skills and ability to pay attention to detail
* Able to develop and deliver presentations to managers and executives
* Able to be convincing, communicatively strong
* Self Management Skills (e.g., Dealing with Stress, Maintaining Composure)
* Work Orientation (e.g., Behaving with Integrity, Being Dependable)
* Change Management Skills (e.g., Learning Agility, Adapting to Change)
* People and Relationship Management Skills (e.g., Demonstrating Teamwork, Sensitivity to Others, Intercultural competence, Leadership,)
* Personality & Motivation (e.g., Demonstrating Enthusiasm and Energy, Drive to Achieve Goals, fact-based, obliging, used to work self-contained by-objective , self-motivated and a team player)
* Quality and Service Skills and Orientation (e.g., Valuing Quality, Focusing on Details)
* Additional course work in management type courses and problem solving techniques preferred.
* Participation in local/ community and industry specific Safety related organizations and programs
* Certified Safety Professional certification preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee uses his/her hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, or crouch; talk or hear. The employee uses computer and telephone equipment.
The employee also regularly lifts and/or moves objects up to 10 pounds. Specific vision requirements of this job include close vision and distance vision.