Registered Nurse Birth Assistant
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/19/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
Community of Hope Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONPosition Summary:
The Registered Nurse Birth Assistant is accountable directly to the Family Health and Birth Center Clinical Manager. The position is responsible for assisting Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM) by performing non-clinical duties during and after births. This position will be scheduled on an as-needed basis.
Highlighted Duties and Responsibilities:
* Sets up birth room for client in labor including checks of emergency equipment;
* Provides ongoing support for client and family as appropriate from admit to discharge;
* Check maternal vital signs, fetal heart tones, and neonate vital signs at intervals according to policy and practice guidelines reporting any abnormal values to midwife;
* Assist CNMs with tasks surrounding delivery of infant, including but not limited to: ensuring that needed instruments are within reach, assisting with drying and stimulating neonate, and assisting with emergency procedures as dictated by CNM;
* Returns birth room to original condition following discharge of patient(s), including cleaning restocking, sterilizing instruments and tub, removing waste and biohazard materials, replacing instruments used, doing laundry, making bed;
* Reports supplies that need to be ordered, equipment in need of repair, and other birth center needs as appropriate.
* Completes home visits on day 1 and day 3 after the birth including completing an evaluation of the mother and baby, performing newborn PKU, providing breastfeeding information and support, and communicating any concerns to the CNM.
* Bachelor of science degree in nursing required;
* A current, unencumbered DC Registered Nurse license required;
* Experience attending a minimum of 20 labors and births required; experience with out-of-hospital births a plus;
* Valid CPR and NRP certifications;
* Completion of skills test on or before first day of employment;
* Commitment to work with underserved populations;
* Ability to work in a non-profit environment.
Community of Hope is a rapidly growing, innovative, and mission driven nonprofit. For 35 years, we have provided health-care, housing, and supportive services for low-income, underserved, and homeless families in Washington, DC. We currently operate a variety of housing programs and three community health centers, which offer medical, dental, behavioral health, and birth services. Through providing these programs and supportive services, we continue our mission of helping and enabling people achieve good health, a stable home, family sustaining income, and hope.
Community of Hope was selected as one of the Washington Post's 150 Top Workplaces in 2014 and 2016. We received the 2012 Washington Post Award for Excellence in Nonprofit Management and the 2014 Leadership Greater Washington Innovative Community Partnership Award. We were also recognized in 2012 by the National Committee for Quality Assurance as a Level 3 Patient-Centered Medical Home.