Registered Nurse MED SURG 5W UNIT
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/10/2016
END DATE 10/26/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
The unit specific flex RN is an experienced clinician who functions at the Competent or higher stage of Benner s model of clinical expertise, supporting a particular nursing unit and patient population. The unit specific flex RN provides direct patient care effectively and efficiently to a patient team which may include patients with varied and complex needs. The unit specific flex RN supports unit leadership and has responsibility to participate in unit and hospital initiatives, and possibly contribute to service line or hospital wide activities.
Med Surg 5 West Stoke Unit
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. LEADERSHIP a. Provides care to increasingly complex patients and coordinates with the interdisciplinary team. (Quality/Safety) b. Identifies and presents areas for improvement in patient care or unit operations and offers solutions by participating in unit projects and shared governance activities. (Growth/Innovation) c. Identifies leadership opportunities for professional growth of peers. (People) d. Provides input into patient care resource utilization, including unit capital. e. Contributes to meeting departmental financial target on unit-based scorecard. (Finance)
2. PATIENT/FAMILY-CENTERED CARE a. Develops and updates plan of care in partnership with the patient and family using the nursing process, incorporating the patient`s priorities and abilities. (Service) b. Establishes mutual educational goals with patient and family, provides appropriate resources, incorporating planning for care after discharge. (Service) c. Supports patients and families in preventing/resolving clinical or ethical issues. (Service) d. Contributes to meeting departmental target for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (Service)
3. CLINICAL JUDGEMENT/CRITICAL THINKING a. Follows the nursing process, modifies care based on continuous evaluation of the patient`s condition, demonstrates clinical problem-solving and critical thinking, and makes decisions using evidence-based analytical approach. (Quality/Safety) b. Plans for routine events and anticipates/prevents and manages/elevates emergent situations. (Quality/Safety) c. Contributes to meeting departmental targets for quality and safety measures on unit-based scorecard. (Quality/Safety)
4. COMMUNICATION a. Communicates in an active, positive and effective manner to all health care team members and reports pertinent patient care and family data in a comprehensive and unbiased manner, lis10s and responds to the ideas of others. (People) b. Uses a structured format for regular communication with patients and families, such as hourly rounding. (Quality/Safety) c. Uses therapeutic communication to establish a relationship with patients and families and communicates the plan of care. (Service)
5. TEAMWORK a. Manages usual patient assignment and other unit demands, completes patient care responsibilities in timely manner with accurate documentation, organizes multiple priorities and anticipates/plans for potential problems. (Quality/Safety) b. Uses downtime efficiently, aware of team members` workload, consis10tly offers assistance, and responds positively to requests for assistance from other team members. (People) c. Supportive of change initiatives. Adapts to unexpected changes. (Growth/Innovation) d. Able to effectively acclimate themselves to various work schedules to achieve high quality care. (Quality/Safety)
6. SAFETY a. Reports near misses as well as errors promptly and consis10tly to improve systems and processes and identify trends. (Quality/Safety) b. Collaborates with staff from the interdisciplinary team concerning safety data to improve outcomes. (Quality/Safety) c. Implements unit and hospital initiatives to attain patient safety goals. (Quality/Safety)
7. EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE/RESEARCH a. Identifies areas for improvement based on understanding of evidence-based practice literature. Initiates evidence-based practice/performance improvement projects based on these observations. (Innovation/Growth) b. Identifies opportunity for practice changes. Researches the change and presents options to shared governance and leadership. (Quality/Safety) c. Assures that designated core measures are met in providing care. (Quality/Safety)
8. STAFF EDUCATION a. Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. (Growth/Innovation) b. Implements staff education specific to patient populations and unit processes; coaches and mentors other staff and students. (People)
9. Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement.
10. Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
11. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing "ADN accepted with requirement to be enrolled in BSN program on or before 12 months of hire date. Candidates must graduate 2 years after enrollment.
Minimum 2 years relevant Registered Nurse (RN) experience in an acute care hospital. Minimum of 2 years experience as a float nurse preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Registered Nurse with current nursing license to practice in the state of Texas Basic Life Support (BLS) for all nurses, Advanced Cardiovasular Life Support (ACLS) for those floating to Intensive-Care Unit) ICU, Emergency (Room) ER, Post-Anesthesia Unit (PACU), Cath Lab and PALS for those floating to Post-Anesthesia Unit (PACU). All certification must be approved by the American Heart Association. Other certifications as required by unit/service.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Must be able to perform skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable Basic computer skills. 2. Must be able to write and speak effectively in English Competencies, skills, training as listed in Policy NU-903, Competence of Nursing Staff and HR 07 Competency Assessment
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.