Registered Nurse_Nights_Full Time_Medically Complex Unit
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 1/13/2017
Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation
Grand Rapids, MI
JOB DESCRIPTIONMission Statement
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Registered Nurses at Mary Free Bed are a key member of the multi-disciplinary team that collaborates together to provide patient-centered care. Within the Nursing Department, RNs coordinate, direct, delegate, and provide care to multiple patients. Using a patient and family-centered care approach, each RN develops relationships with patients, families, and colleagues that enhance the quality of care provided. Nursing care is performed with compassion and courtesy, and each RN is responsible to follow departmental policies and service standards. Patient and family education is a primary focus of rehabilitation nursing, and is a critical aspect of the interdisciplinary team's efforts to assist patients to gain independence, apply adaptation strategies, and return to home.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Quality Pillar of Excellence
* Quality Nursing Care - The Registered Nurse is responsible for all nursing care provided to patients at Mary Free Bed. Through careful assessment of each patient, interdisciplinary collaboration, and critical thinking, each RN develops and/or follows a patient-centered plan of care that aligns with the priorities and plans developed by the attending physician and other disciplines. The RN coordinates care for non-licensed staff through delegation and follow-up, to assure that all care provided follows departmental policies and procedures.
* Quality Improvement - Mary Free Bed is committed to providing rehabilitation services that are of the highest possible quality. Opportunities for improvement are valued, as staff and leaders will take advantage of lessons learned to improve future services. Each RN will participate in performance improvement through identification of ways to improve care, reporting unexpected events or medical errors, and reporting \\"near misses\\". As requested, the RNs will participate in data collection and documentation audits to assist the Nursing Department with quality improvement measures.
* Patient Safety - Each RN is responsible to promote safety for all patients served by following all applicable department policies and procedures. RNs will understand and contribute to the initiatives that are in place to improve the safety of the patients served. Additionally, a culture of patient safety is very important at MFB and this requires all employees to be able to identify and report unexpected events and near misses without the fear of reprisal or retaliation. Retaliation or intimidation towards another employee for reporting unexpected events or near misses will not be tolerated. Finally, when threats to patient safety are identified, or opportunities for improvement are noted, these will be communicated with a member of the Nursing Leadership Team in a timely manner.
Service Pillar of Excellence
* Customer Service - Each Registered Nurse is required to demonstrate excellent customer service standards and behaviors, while interacting with patients, family members, physicians, and colleagues. Each RN must deal discreetly and sensitively with confidential information, and as needed, will perform customer service recovery with patients and families members. The RN will also take active steps to recognize unique cultural and religious needs of patients and families and integrate these diverse needs into a patient-specific plan of care that aims to exceed the expectations of each patient and family.
* Physician and colleague relationships - Interdisciplinary team integration and collaboration across disciplines to provide patient-centered care is a priority at Mary Free Bed. Maintaining effective working relationships with admitting and consulting physicians at Mary Free Bed is an important responsibility of each RN. In addition, each RN is responsible to develop and maintain professional working relationships with colleagues from other disciplines that are involved in the care of each patient and family.
People Pillar of Excellence
* Employee Competency - Each RN employed at Mary Free Bed is responsible to perform within the policies, procedures, and standards of care set by the organization. This often requires demonstration of competency to meet regulatory and accreditation requirements and in alignment with recognized standards of care and best practice benchmarks. Each RN is responsible to demonstrate competency in those areas required by the department, within the defined time frame.
* Professional Work Environment - A culture of professionalism, respect, and accountability is critical to fulfilling the mission of Mary Free Bed Hospital. Each RN is responsible for encouraging a culture of personal accountability, solution-seeking behavior, mutual respect, open communication, acceptance of change, enthusiasm, and pride. As opportunities for celebration and opportunities for improvement are identified, each RN will share this information with a member of the Nursing Leadership Team
* Employee Safety - Each employee within the Nursing Department is responsible to follow all policies and procedures related to employee safety. When risks to employee safety are identified (self or others), each RN will take appropriate steps to reduce those risks, communicate with the Nursing Supervisor(s) and to maintain a physical work environment that reflects the high quality nursing services delivered at Mary Free Bed.
* Staff Selection, Development and Mentoring - As requested by a member of the Nursing Leadership Team, MFB RNs assist with employee selection and orientation process for new team members. Interview questions and feedback will be presented professionally and tactfully, and information discussed during the interviews will remain confidential, if needed. As a preceptor, each RN will collaborate with the Nursing Supervisor and Nurse Educator to provide a comprehensive orientation for the new team member. RNs are responsible to ensure the Nurse Technician and Licensed Practical Nurse assigned to the RN and who are serving as a preceptor provide a thorough and accurate orientation for the new team member.
* Student Preceptor and Mentoring - As assigned by a Nursing Supervisor or Nurse Educator, each RN will collaborate with colleagues, the Nursing Supervisor and Nurse Educator to provide a valuable clinical rotation for RN students.
Financial Performance Pillar of Excellence
* Fiscal Responsibility - Each RN will follow departmental policies and procedures related to payroll practices, patient chargeable items and other opportunities to provide high-value nursing care at a reasonable price to our customers. As opportunities for cost savings and efficiency are identified, these will be shared with the appropriate member of the Nursing Leadership Team. Furthermore, all RNs will obtain skill set needed to participate in the growth of strategic programs within MFB; Baclofen and Botox.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
* Licensure: Registered nurse in the state of Michigan.
* Education: Associates degree in nursing is required. Bachelor's degree preferred. Certification as a Registered Rehabilitation Nurse is preferred and will be encouraged for all MFB RNs.
* Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
* Previous experience as a RN, especially in a rehabilitation or acute care setting, is preferred but not required.
* Strong critical thinking, decision-making, delegation, and leadership skills are required to work as a RN in the Nursing Department at MFB.
* Time management and organizational skills are very important, as well as effective written and verbal communication skills.
* Must be able to work effectively under time requirements and deadlines, problem-solve when facing unexpected issues, handle interruptions, and prioritize effectively.
* Physical Demands/Work