Registered Nurse (RN) - Emergency (ED); 11a-11p; Day Shift
This job is no longer active. View similar jobs
Assesses and provides treatment for infant, child, adolescent, young adult, and elderly patients according to chief complaint and presenting symptoms.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Triages, assesses, and prioritizes patients upon arrival according to the ESI Level 5 Triage System.
* Performs primary and secondary assessments on patients with traumatic injuries, and initiates immediate nursing care and therapy for patients presenting with cardiac symptoms.
* Assesses and manages patients with rapidly changing andor life-threatening conditions in accordance with Emergency Care Center guidelines, order sets, and Advanced Cardiac and Pediatric Life Support protocols.
* Manages pain control needs for all patients.
* Provides care and education congruent with age-related needs for the infant, child, adolescent, young adult, and elderly populations.
* Educates patient or caregiver on appropriate home care, including safe and effective use of medications, pain management and comfort, needed referrals and resources, and when to seek further care and follow-up after emergency care.
* Maintains eight (8) hrs of stroke specific education yearly.
SCOPE OF CARE:
The Emergency Department (ED) is designated as a Level III Trauma Center for adults and children. The Emergency Department has a total of sixteen (16) acute care beds and eight (8) "Fast-track" beds. Of the sixteen (16) acute care beds; one (1) bed is designated for psychiatric, and one (1) bed for isolation; and two (2) beds for major trauma/critical care. Sixteen (16) beds have central cardiac monitoring, and there are four (4) portable monitors that can be utilized for transports.
One year experience in ER.
* Current RN permit or licensure issued by the Board of Nurse Examiners of the State of Texas to practice professional nursing.
* Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider certification required.
* Current ACLS/PALS and TNCC certifications required.
* TNCC is required within 6 months of employment for new hires.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
Completion of an accredited school of nursing program resulting in an Associate Degree, Diploma or Baccalaureate degree in nursing.
* Technical, clerical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to total patient care/area in order to safely and efficiently treat patients.
* Good verbal and written communication skills necessary in order to be clearly and easily understood by patients, families and members of the Health Care team.
* Writes/prints legibly in order to document accurately and understandably, and to provide direction to support staff and others.
* Demonstrates a pleasant, helpful and caring demeanor in order to be an effective patient advocate.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MINORITIES / WOMEN / VETERANS / DISABLED
Primary Location: Texas-Houston
Organization: St. Joseph Medical Center
Education Level: Associate's Degree/College Diploma
Employee Status: Full Time Benefit Eligible 36-40 hrs/wk
Work Schedule: Days
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled