Registered Pharmacy Technician I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 10/12/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
The Pharmacy Technician I assists in providing day-to-day comprehensive pharmacy services including but not limited to performing data entry functions, compounding, preparing and labeling patient specific medications prior to dispensing, delivering medications to patient care areas, mentoring and training new employees. Duties of specific pharmacy work areas are outlined in this policy (see Addendum for a description and responsibilities of each pharmacy work area). The Pharmacy Technician I is not required to be competent in all pharmacy work areas; however, the Pharmacy Technician I is strongly encouraged to train and actively cross-cover in at least three pharmacy work areas on a regular basis
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
* Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
* Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
* Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
* Preschooler (3-6 years)
* School Age (6-12 years)
* Adolescence (12-18 years)
* Young Adult (19-40 Years)
* Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
* Mature Adult (65 years and older)
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
The major job responsibilities of this position are: to assist with the optimizing the safety of and efficiency of pharmacy operations and to support the workflow needs of the pharmacy department.
1. Proactively supports and assists with training new employees and all other pharmacy learners e.g. residents, interns, students and volunteers.
2. Exhibits the behaviors delineated by Service PRIDE key principles (maintains or enhances self-esteem, listens and responds with empathy, asks for ideas and offers suggestions).
3. Contributes in departmental efforts to resolve drug related problems and maximizing patient outcomes.
4. Presents or assists in-services for pharmacy staff as directed by Pharmacy Management.
1. Helps to minimize excess cost(s) by assisting and recommending solutions in achieving departmental objectives.
1. Demonstrates a clear understanding of the medication order process from prescriber initiation to medication distribution to various patient care area(s).
2. Proficient in performing accurate calculations required for usual dosage determinations.
3. Performs data entry functions such as labeling, charge generation, wastage, expired drugs, cycle counts, and crediting activities via departmental computer systems, electronic data processing units or manually- promptly and accurately.
4. Collects and reports data in a routine and timely manner for quality improvement and productivity according to departmental standards.
5. Follows all hospital and department safety rules while on the job, including OSHA guidelines for safe handling, as applicable, of cytotoxic agents, universal blood and body fluid precautions, hospital hazardous and pharmaceutical waste disposal and the Hazard Communications Act.
6. Reports all accidents to management promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
1. Assist with the optimizing the safety of and efficiency of pharmacy operations and to support the workflow needs of the pharmacy department.
2. Ensures that daily activities are performed in a timely manner, provides support to the workflow, and reports any problems to, Admin. Specialists, Pharmacists, and Pharmacy Management.
3. Manages time efficiently, completes assignment per work unit schedule, assists others when workload is completed, resolves problems, effectively and willingly accommodates workflow fluctuations.
1. Train and cross-cover in various pharmacy work areas outside of central pharmacy (see Addendum for descriptions of pharmacy work areas).
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
* Must be a high school graduate or have high school equivalency; at least two years of college preferred but not required.
* None. One year of hospital pharmacy experience is preferred but not required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* Must be certified as a pharmacy technician as required by the Texas State Board of Pharmacy.
* Must maintain certification as required by law.
* Must satisfy horizontal and/or vertical hood certification requirements.
* Must maintain Board of Pharmacy requirements for pharmacy technician registration or Pharmacist Intern licensure (can only be obtained after the first full year in an ACPE-accredited PharmD program and processed application to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy).
* Must be ACPE-IV Admixture Certified for persons hired after April 1, 2015
* (Note - If applicable State Licensure, ACLS, BLS, or PALS must be obtained within 90 days of employment)
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Must possess effective oral and written communication skills in English.
* Must be proficient in the use of personal computers and related software, drug preparation pumps/devices, packaging and labeling machines; automated drug dispensing equipment; prescription balances; portable data processing units.
* Must be able to use standard office and pharmaceutical equipment.
* Must satisfactory test out or complete mandatory training programs within reasonable amount of time.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.