Registration Specialist -60252
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2016
END DATE 11/3/2016
West Virginia University Hospital
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Description
Registration Specialist (60252)
High school graduate or GED required.
Minimum typing speed of 25 words per minute is preferred.
Experience in medical office setting preferred.
Greet and receive patient into health care facility. Responsible for accurate and timely processing of patient demographics and insurance information. Obtain electronic signature for consent to treat and patient financial obligation. Provide excellent customer service, and use strong written and oral communication skills. This position is the first impression of the clinic and WVU Healthcare to the patient.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Obtains demographic/billing/insurance information from patient/family/legal guardian and enters into the registration/billing systems for service and claim processing
* May complete managed care responsibilities in regard to obtaining pre-certification and authorizations.
* Prepares WVU Healthcare standard consent form, notice of privacy practice and/or other necessary paperwork related to registration and presents to patient/family/legal guardian for signatures. Obtains electronic signature for consent to treat and patient financial obligations.
* Secures signatures, witnesses and explains financial responsibility forms, consent to treat, assignment of benefits release of information to insurance company, Medicare forms or any other documents as determines necessary
* Obtains and scan patients insurance/medical cards and driver s license into the registration system
* May complete medical necessity screening and obtains signatures as needed
* Collects deposits/co-payments/deductibles/patient liability payments when applicable, provides patient receipt and documents payment in the registration/billing systems
* Directs patients needing financial assistance to Patient Services to speak with a Financial Counselor.
* Schedules, cancels, reschedules and confirms patient appointments over the phone, through the mail and in person for several physicians within their department. Determines urgency of patient medical condition when scheduling appointments. Schedules appointment based on type of visit and insurance coverage requirements.
* May schedule all testing ordered by the provider needed before or at next appointment and coordinate with follow-up appointment.
* Balances daily receipts and cash drawer for patient payments, prepares and places deposit bag into the safe or delivers it to cashier s office.
* Follows up on accounts as indicated by system flags (courtesy dismissal/comments/red stickers)
* Ability to accurately utilize applicable computer software and equipment for access processing
* Maintains registration accuracy threshold of 98% as identified in audit processing
* May initiates auto accident liability coverage. Identifies all patients involved in an auto accident and obtains all pertinent information regarding medical or non-fault liability and documents in registration/billing systems.
* May initiate ERSD (end stage renal disease) screening. Identifies ESRD patients and obtains all pertinent information regarding coverage by SSI and documents in the registration/billing systems.
* May initiate Veterans Administration eligibility screening. Identifies all VA eligible patients and coordinated admission/treatment with AV and documents in the registration/billing systems.
* May initiate Black Lung SSI screening. Identifies all patients covered under Black Lung and documents in the registration/billing systems.
* May initiate Workers Compensation screening. Accurately identifies all patients seeking treatment for work related injuries. Assists in completion of appropriate paperwork and documents in the registration/billing systems.
* Initiates MSP (Medicare secondary screening). Obtains all information regarding MSP. Documents in registration/billing system all information required on the MSP form.
* Demonstrates ability to follow established computer down time procedures.
* Participates in educational programs to meet mandatory requirements and identified needs with regard to job and personal growth.
* Attends departmental meetings and/or documents review of meeting minutes.
* Participates in performance improvement (i.e. follows established work systems, identifies deviations or deficiencies in standards/systems/processes and communicates problems to coordinator or manager)
* Works with coordinators and manager to develop and attain quarterly objectives
* Maintains confidentiality according to policy when interacting with patients, physicians, families, co-workers and the public regarding demographic/clinical/financial information.
* Is polite and respectful when communicating with staff, physicians, patients and families. Approaches interpersonal relations in a positive manner.
* Complies with Notices of Privacy Practices, and the Patient s Rights and Responsibilities.
* All staff shall cooperate with the WVUH Corporate Compliance Program during their employment.
* Demonstrate knowledge of procedure to report and/or document unsafe/hazardous conditions, incidents and defective equipment in compliance with hospital policy.
* Complies with annual competency requirements related to Emergency Preparedness, hazards, blood borne pathogens, universal precautions, infection control, electrical/fire safety, material safety data sheets and any other topic deemed appropriate to assigned work areas.
* Demonstrates flexibility to meet the needs of department or hospital in regard to changes in work volume, planned change, scheduling changes and emergency call-backs (i.e. weather or disaster)
* Uses hospital communications systems (fax, beepers, telephones, duplicating equipments, scanners, pneumatic tube system and computers) in accordance with hospital standards
* Communicates problems hindering workflow to management in a timely manner.
* Explains consistently the hospital regulations.
* Provides patients information concerning insurance, payment of bills and hospital procedures.
* Communicates effectively verbally and in writing and places high emphasis on customer service. Receives and relays pertinent information to other members of the healthcare team.
* Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to communicate to the infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult and/or geriatric patient per the established age-specific education/standard.
* Assesses all self pay patients for potential public assistance through registration/billing systems
* Obtains commitment to pay from patients that do not meet requirements for public assistance or full charity write off.
* Maintains current knowledge of major payor payment provisions.
Employee will adhere to the established Performance Expectations for WVUH Employees in the areas of People, Service, Performance Improvement, and Shared Values & Culture.
Frequent walking, standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping and feeling are necessary body movements utilized in performing duties throughout the work shift
Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
Must have the ability to move throughout the work area and clinic area.
Must have reading and comprehension ability
Must be able to read and write legibly in English
Visual acuity must be within normal range
Must be able to communicate effectively, both in writing and in oral communication
Must have manual dexterity to operate keyboards, fax machines, telephones and other business equipment