Registration Specialist-Patient Access -60252 9/10/2016
West Virginia University Hospital
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description
Registration Specialist (60252)
Manager of Patient Access
High school graduate or GED required.
Minimum typing speed of 25 words per minute is preferred.
Experience in medical office setting preferred.
Greets and receives the patient into the health care system. Manages the registration process to ensure the financial viability of WVUH. Responsible for accurate and timely interviewing of patients and/or relative in a courteous manner to obtain registration data based upon comprehensive data elements to complete the registration process. Ensures that all state/federal regulations are met. Performs pre-registration/registration/scheduling in person and via telephone interviews. Initiates and coordinates the information necessary for prompt and efficient admission, transfer or discharge of patients in compliance with state and federal regulations. Maintains knowledge of revenue cycle operations, third party reimbursement and medical terminology. Uses excellent customer service, written and oral communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Obtains demographic/billing/insurance information from patient/family/legal guardian and enters into the registration/billing systems for service and claim processing
* Prepares hospital standard consent form, notice of privacy practice and/or other necessary paperwork related to registration and presents to patient/family/legal guardian for signatures
* Secures signatures, witnesses and explains financial responsibility forms, consent to treat, assignment of benefits release of information to insurance company, Medicare forms or any other documents as determines necessary
* Obtains and scan patients insurance/medical cards and driver s license into the registration system
* Prepares identification armband and addressograph plate and stamps necessary material for registration
* Contacts, schedules and enters into the computer patients for pre-admission upon physician request
* Completes medical necessity screening and obtains signatures as needed
* Collects deposits/co-payments/deductibles/patient liability payments when applicable, provides patient receipt and documents payment in the registration/billing systems
* Balances daily receipts and cash drawer for patient payments, prepares and delivers deposit bag to cashier s office
* Follows up on accounts as indicated by system flags (courtesy dismissal/comments/red stickers)
* Ability to accurately utilize applicable computer software and equipment for access processing
* Maintains registration accuracy threshold of 98% as identified in audit processing
* Initiates auto accident liability coverage. Identifies all patients involved in an auto accident and obtains all pertinent information regarding medical or non-fault liability and documents in registration/billing systems.
* Initiates ERSD (end stage renal disease) screening. Identifies ESRD patients and obtains all pertinent information regarding coverage by SSI and documents in the registration/billing systems.
* Initiates Veterans Administration eligibility screening. Identifies all VA eligible patients and coordinated admission/treatment with AV and documents in the registration/billing systems.
* Initiates Black Lung SSI screening. Identifies all patients covered under Black Lung and documents in the registration/billing systems.
* Initiates Workers Compensation screening. Accurately identifies all patients seeking treatment for work related injuries. Assists in completion of appropriate paperwork and documents in the registration/billing systems.
* Initiates MSP (Medicare secondary screening). Obtains all information regarding MSP. Documents in registration/billing system all information required on the MSP form.
* Demonstrates ability to follow established computer down time procedures.
* Participates in educational programs to meet mandatory requirements and identified needs with regard to job and personal growth.
* Attends departmental meetings and/or documents review of meeting minutes.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Participates in performance improvement (i.e. follows established work systems, identifies deviations or deficiencies in standards/systems/processes and communicates problems to coordinator or manager)
* Works with coordinators and manager to develop and attain quarterly objectives
* Maintains confidentiality according to policy when interacting with patients, physicians, families, co-workers and the public regarding demographic/clinical/financial information.
* Is polite and respectful when communicating with staff, physicians, patients and families. Approaches interpersonal relations in a positive manner.
* Complies with Notices of Privacy Practices, and the Patient s Rights and Responsibilities.
* All staff shall cooperate with the WVUH Corporate Compliance Program during their employment.
* Demonstrate knowledge of procedure to report and/or document unsafe/hazardous conditions, incidents and defective equipment in compliance with hospital policy.
* Complies with annual competency requirements related to Emergency Preparedness, hazards, blood borne pathogens, universal precautions, infection control, electrical/fire safety, material safety data sheets and any other topic deemed appropriate to assigned work areas.
* Demonstrates flexibility to meet the needs of department or hospital in regard to changes in work volume, planned change, scheduling changes and emergency call-backs (i.e. weather or disaster)
* Uses hospital communications systems (fax, beepers, telephones, duplicating equipments, scanners, pneumatic tube system and computers) in accordance with hospital standards
* Communicates problems hindering workflow to management in a timely manner.
* Explains consistently the hospital regulations.
* Provides patients information concerning insurance, payment of bills and hospital procedures.
* Communicates effectively verbally and in writing and places high emphasis on customer service. Receives and relays pertinent information to other members of the healthcare team.
* Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to communicate to the infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult and/or geriatric patient per the established age-specific education/standard.
* Assesses all self pay patients for potential public assistance through registration/billing systems
* Obtains commitment to pay from patients that do not meet requirements for public assistance or full charity write off.
* Maintains current knowledge of major payor payment provisions.
Employee will adhere to the established Performance Expectations for WVUH Employees in the areas of People, Service, Performance Improvement, and Shared Values & Culture.
Frequent walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping and feeling are necessary body movements utilized in performing duties throughout the work shift
Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
Must have reading and comprehension ability
Must be able to read and write legible in English
Visual acuity must be within normal range
Must be able to communicate effectively
Must be able to exert in excess of 50 pounds of force occasionally to move patients or objects
Must have manual dexterity to operate keyboards, fax machines, telephones and other business equipment
Office type environment
Patient care environment
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Excellent oral and written communication skills