Research Assistant I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/11/2016
END DATE 10/12/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB SUMMARY: Under supervision of the principal investigator, conducts a variety of routine experiments using molecular, cell biology and/or biochemistry techniques. Records test results, calculates, transcribes, and analyzes data using basic statistics.
* Conducts routine tests following established procedures, which may include assays, DNA sequencing, tissue culture, protein purification, Southern blotting, PCR analysis, electrophoresis, chromatography.
* Uses standard research equipment such as microscopes, incubators, autoclaves, centrifuges.
* Researches and collects basic study data through monitoring devices and maintains daily logs/basic records of methodologies and test results. With supervision, using databases, may summarize data and interpret results using descriptive statistics and basic hypothesis testing.
* May write standard operating procedures for documentation and make informal presentations of these procedures to others in the lab.
* Performs literature searches and library investigations as they relate to the research and/or as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree required in Biology, Biochemistry, Life Science or a related scientific field required..
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Familiarity with basic laboratory instruments and equipment, computers (databases, spreadsheets, statistics) and scientific procedures.
* Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf