Research Assistant III 8/9/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY: Under limited supervision of the principal investigator, conducts a variety of routine and specialized laboratory tests using molecular, cell biology and/or biochemistry techniques. Performs lab procedures with speed, precision, and understanding of theory behind tests and procedures. Performs Level II responsibilities with a higher level of problem resolution, analytical ability, self-direction, and expertise.
* Performs routine and non-routine laboratory tests (i.e.: DNA sequencing, gene cloning, in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry, northern blotting) and synthesizes and interprets results.
* May operate and maintain moderate to complex lab equipment such as spectrophotometer, flow cytometer, etc.
* Using analytical abilities and sound judgment, makes decisions regarding the reliability and accuracy of results, repeating procedures when necessary.
* May assist with planning specific research procedures and coordinating schedules of tests and procedures.
* May prepare written and/or verbal reports on status of research and the technical procedures used, including statistical and graphic summaries of findings and possible conclusions. May review and proof papers and make informal presentations.
* Bachelor's degree required in Biology, Biochemistry, Life Science or a related scientific field. Master's degree preferred in Biology, Biochemistry, Life Science or a related scientific field
* 1-3 years related work experience required.
* Bachelor's degree and two years experience or a Master's degree and one year experience.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf