Research Associate I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 12/2/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Description:
The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard is one of the world's leading biomedical research institute dedicated to the mission of using the full power of genomics to transform the understanding and treatment of disease. The Broad Institute seeks to describe all of the molecular components of life and their connections; discover the molecular basis of major human diseases; develop effective new approaches to diagnostics and therapeutics; and disseminate discoveries, tools, methods, and data openly to the entire scientific community.
We are looking for a self-motivated researcher to join a multi-disciplinary team of scientists in a fast-paced, cutting-edge project centered on discovering small molecules that modulate targets and pathways implicated in inflammatory diseases by genetic studies in patients. These small molecules will serve as starting points to test new treatments in preclinical models.
The successful candidate will be involved in a series of research activities, including experimental design and assay development using a variety of standard and novel techniques in molecular biology, biochemistry, biophysics and cell biology. He/she is expected to work largely independently on a daily basis after training, but will be closely mentored by a senior researcher and other members of the team.
* Actively participates in the establishment and execution of assays for high-throughput screening and secondary assays to develop chemical probes that modulate disease-relevant pathways
* Express and purify proteins to support primary and secondary screening
* Performs detailed characterization of hits and chemically optimized compounds, including testing them in in vivo models of human disease
* Works with others to refine protocols and explore novel techniques to incorporate them into experimental and analytical pipelines
* Documents, compiles, and analyzes experimental data
* Attends team meetings to share results and plan experiments
* Operates and maintains laboratory equipment to complete investigations
* Bachelor's degree in Biology or related field.
* Familiarity with molecular biology, biochemical and biophysical laboratory techniques.
* Experience in heterologous protein expression and purification.
* Excellent written, documentation and oral communication skills required.
* Strong organizational skills, including the ability to handle a variety of tasks in a fast-paced environment required.
* Must possess a high level of initiative and the ability to work with little supervision.
* Strong interpersonal and organizational skills required.
* Must be an exceptional team player.
* Must be able to use sound judgment to handle a variety of tasks and to shift priorities.
Target Hire Date Summer 2017
The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
EOE / Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabilities