Research Associate II Next Generation Sequencing
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/12/2016
END DATE 4/21/2017
JOB DESCRIPTION- - - # Research Associate II \- Next Generation Sequencing Department:
Surgery PS\-Department Of - - - # Description Requisition ID:
* Job Title:
* Research Associate II \- Next Generation Sequencing
* Position Summary and Key Responsibilities
* Under general supervision of the Principal Investigator, or designee, the Research Associate II \(RAII\) directs the work of a laboratory or undertakes research projects in collaboration with academic supervisor, making innovative contributions pertaining to laboratory procedures which may not change the course of an investigation but do indicate significant independent contribution beyond the RA I level\. RAII typically consults with the academic supervisor on the scope and plan of approach to a research project; reads abstracts and articles; organize and plan techniques; plan and assign the work of at least one lab staff advising on problems they are unable to solve; contribute original ideas to the laboratory research; standardize new techniques and train staff on these techniques; perform specialized procedures and prepare written reports of laboratory experimental methods\. Essential Functions:
+ Performs a variety of routine and non\-routine laboratory research experiments including library preparations for next generation sequencing, laser capture microdissection, IHC, cell culture, RNAi, molecular cloning, xenograft animals, qPCR and diverse approaches for DNA methylation and chromatin status analysis\. Troubleshoots procedures if experiment results are unexpected or unsatisfactory\. Recommends alternative procedures\. + Responsible for accurately recording work performed including results and methodology\. Calculates, compiles and analyzes data obtained from work performed\. + Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design\. Trains lab staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests\. + May contribute to the preparation of manuscripts by describing methods and specialized techniques\. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques\. + Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure\(s\) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio\-hazardous, infectious and toxic material\. Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan\. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality\. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested\.*
* Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
* + Bachelor's degree\. Masters degree preferred\. + Two years related research/ laboratory experience with a Bachelor's degree or, one year related research/ laboratory experience with a Master's degree\. + Molecular biology and experience\.*
* About City of Hope
* City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life\-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient\-centered philosophy\. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non\-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand\-in\-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research\. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment\. City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer\. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability\. .