Research Asst II, HSD 8/16/2016
Loyola University Of Chicago
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY POSTING DETAILS
Research Asst II, HSD
Department / School / College
Is this partially or fully grant funded*
Duties and Responsibilities
- Carries out experiments as instructed by Principle Investigator (PI). Assists with experimental procedures involving basic molecular biology, bacteriology, cell and tissue culture, preparing reagents and solutions, and making direct experimental measurements.
- Performs basic lab techniques required to complete laboratory projects. Techniques performed include basic molecular biology, Western Blot analysis, protein purification, flow cytometry, basic bacteriology and cell culture.
- Gathers, organizes, and records data. Performs simple analysis of results. May assist with library, literature, and/or electronic database research.
- Incorporates new protocols and methodology into work as directed by PI and/or senior lab staff.
- May assist in ordering lab supplies when required. Maintains orderly records of purchases.
- Maintains a safe, clean, and orderly lab environment. Ensures compliance with safety regulations.
- Assists with experiments specific to lab and in accordance with direction from individual PI.
- Performs related duties as assigned according to established timelines for multiple projects at the same time.
Minimum Education or Experience
Required: Bachelors Degree
Preferred: Masters Degree
Specify Degree(s): Biological or physical sciences
Required: 1-2 years of previous job-related experience
Preferred: 3-5 years of previous job-related experience
Certificates, credentials or licenses required to perform the duties of this position:
At least 1-2 years of previous lab related
research experience or relevant coursework including laboratory courses in bacteriology and/or molecular biology
Preferred: Prior experience in molecular biology and biochemistry research including
direct work with animal models in research.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to communicate verbally.
- Ability to deal calmly and courteously with people.
- Ability to finish tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions and established procedures.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and consistency.
- Ability to work as an effective team member.
Work consists of duties involving several related sequential steps, processes or methods. Duties require consideration of factors and conditions that are apparent and readily verifiable. Work has moderate impact on a specific area. Substantial impact on student or patient well-being, comfort or convenience. Specific, detailed instruction provided for new or difficult assignments. Employee performs recurring tasks independently. Loyola is committed to providing care that is safe. It is expected that all Loyola employees will perform their job function in a professional and competent manner that constantly seeks to reduce the risk of harm to patients, families and co-workers. Loyola is committed to the continuous improvement of the services it provides to its patients and their families.
Personal Relationships: Routine job with interpersonal contact
Internal Contacts: Within Department, Cross-departmental, Physicians, Students, Management, Faculty
External Contacts: Visitors
Occasionally: Walking, Sitting
Frequently: Standing, Reaching with Arms, Finger/Hand Dexterity, Talking, Hearing, Seeing, Pushing/Pulling, Lifting/Carrying (Up to 25 lbs)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Does this job involve significant physical strain or activity*
What unusual working conditions are associated with this job*
Maywood-Health Science Division
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Candidates Eligible to Apply*
Application Types Accepted
University Staff Application
Required Applicant Documents
Optional Applicant Documents
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quicklink for Posting
Loyola University Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled