Research Data Administrator 8/30/2016
The University of Chicago
Campus - Hyde Park, IL
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Research Data Administrator at the Center for the Economics of Human Development will play a key role in supporting its variety of research projects. (See http://cehd.uchicago.edu/page/current-projects-0) Specifically, the Research Data Administrator will create metadata, maintain and keep secure various datasets, clean data, manage data contracts, and ensure documentation is created in a standardized way and centralized in a way that facilitates productive research. In order to implement an effective process for systematic storage and handling of data and data-related documentation, the ideal candidate will be able to offer a 2-year commitment.
The Research Data Administrator will report to the Executive Director. They will interact frequently with 20+ researchers in the Center by coordinating data use in projects, training, documenting, researching new data sets, and offering other data-related services to Center staff. A key aspect of the position will be to promote cross-project communication and coordination in data-related matters. The Research Data Administrator will consider project leaders and research assistants as internal clients. They will offer training sessions about data cleaning standards for new research staff and will communicate and promote data storage and handling procedures for new project leaders. They will ensure information is stored with longevity in mind so information will not be compromised during a turnover of research staff or change of project scopes. They will assure availability of data and codes to replicate previous results.
The Research Data Administrator will also partner with external units as needed (e.g. Social Sciences IT Services, Institutional Review Board, University of Chicago Research Administration) on security procedures or internal or external audits. They will be expected to keep current on any relevant best practices or new technologies.
- Develop and promote policies, standards and workflows for acquisition, coding, and preservation of data and data-related information, for both public and restricted data. Work closely with project leaders and administrative team to properly execute the storage, access and handling of data.
- Develop and promote policies, standards and workflows for data cleaning. Work closely with project leaders organizing the cleaning and recoding of all available data and in keeping documentation, including researcher-developed codes, to clean or manage data. Coordinate with a research staff member designated by the project leader to address data issues.
- Provide effective data management instruction for new research assistants regarding data software, metadata creation, secure maintenance of data, standardized data cleaning protocols, and documentation. Create guides to assist in the use of data and statistical resources. Support the development of data literacy and numeracy skills.
- Assist in the development of a collection of databases, surveys and statistical resources. In addition, explore the acquisition of new databases and new software, and help make them available for the staff. Look for innovations and promote best practices in data usage, as the adoption of data access, resources and tools (e.g. Athens, software for version control, etc.).
- Support the research team and administration team for new research projects and grant applications.
- Prepare activity and progress reports regarding the performance of current research projects.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact Human Resources