Research Engineer I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/18/2016
END DATE 10/14/2016
The successful candidate will have strong technical foundation in applying research expertise to real-world problems in safety science, simultaneously advancing safety science and improving UL's business competitiveness. The Research Engineer will be flexible in learning and applying technical knowledge sometimes outside their area of expertise, regularly collaborate and engage with business leaders, technical and non-technical colleagues, laboratory staff, and outside customers and partners in industry, government, and academia. This candidate is expected to have an enthusiasm to work hands-on in the laboratory and show creativity in their technical work. They must be comfortable in speaking to diverse technical and non-technical groups located globally.
* Identifies fundamental knowledge needed to enhance UL's industry and standards position and support the strategy of the aligned categories.
* Serves as the primary source for fundamental engineering research, and acts as an in-house and outside consultant
* Applies intensive and diverse knowledge of engineering technology and systems engineering concepts to the specific research tasks.
* Exercises a high degree of judgment in formulating, evaluating, and correlating broad engineering research concepts and guiding the analysis of unique problems and developing new and improved techniques and methods.
* Analyzes product data and laboratory test results in order to determine causes of problems and develop solutions, and evaluates technical specifications and factors related to process or design objectives.
* Stays ahead of changing technologies, in the field by reading journals and scientific publications, attending academic conferences, writing and collaborating on original publications, and delivering presentations on research engineering topics.
* Plans and conducts experiments to measure the body of scientific knowledge on topics related to hazard based safety engineering
* Plan, design and complete initial and follow-up procedures as needed to test and validate results.
* Collaborates with industry, academics and other research and development staff to apply the results of research used to develop new techn iques, products, practices and UL Standards.
* Maintain and develop extensive knowledge of current and new technologies for new products, as well as current needs and trends.
* Performs other duties as directed.
1 st Year Initiatives:
* Establish self as the main interface for our Energy and Power Technologies division
* Develop and create technical roadmaps
* Establish and execute any major projects focusing on UL's Energy work
* Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering (PhD preferred ) , with a specialization in power and controls, high-voltage electrical systems, power distribution and transmission systems, or related field. Minimum five years of experience in relevant field. Advanced degree in lieu of work experience will be considered, if research work was conducted during pursuit of degree. Preference is given to candidates with work experience that was gained in industry, product manufacturing, utility, or technical service organization focused on power electronics, or power generation/transmission/distribution.
* Demonstrated ability to plan, execute, and complete complex research projects with minimal direct supervision. Demonstrated ability to collaborate successfully and enthusiastically with peers, management, clients, and other individuals to complete work in a reasonable timeframe.
* Demonstrated English-language writing and speaking proficiency. Ability to communicate technical ideas and tailor to the audience (engineers, managers, senior leaders, business staff, general public, etc.).
* Comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment. Willingness and experience working hands-on in a laboratory environment.
* Experience in one or more of the following: electrical ac/dc arcing phenomena, power electronics, electrical codes and standards, high- (HV) and medium-voltage (MV) electronics and systems, electrical equipment aging and degradation, high-voltage dc (HVDC) systems, power inverters and converters, electrical product failure and forensics.
* Preference is given to candidates with demonstrated peer-reviewed publication and presentation history; experience with patent submission process.
* Demonstrated ability to remain flexible