Research Fellow- Cancer for Center Evolution 8/9/2016
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
Postdoctoral Fellows will assist the Associate Director for Scientific Operations to develop and fulfill the scientific mission of the Center for Cancer Evolution (CCE). The principal mission of the CCE is to develop and validate mathematical modeling strategies of tumor evolution and treatment response, and eventually utilize these strategies to identify best therapeutic intervention. We will investigate the treatment response of cancer cells and their microenvironment, develop novel mathematical frameworks describing the evolutionary dynamics of tumor progression and treatment response that are parameterized using the experimental systems, and predict and validate optimum intervention strategies that will ultimately be implemented as prospective clinical trials. The CCE is looking for highly motivated and qualified Postdoctoral Fellows to investigate tumor evolution using and creating mathematical models of tumor evolution and drug resistance in order to further the understanding of cancer evolution, metastasis formation, and emerging drug resistance. Postdoctoral fellows will have the following responsibilities:
* Assist in the design and implementation of databases for the Center.
* Write code and generate reports for the Center.
* Design and carry out analyses of datasets.
* Work directly with bench scientists in analyzing data generated from individual specific and global projects.
* Prepare reports and give presentations as needed.
* Interact with the Center s scientific collaborators and constituents and assist them with their projects.
* Assist in grant and manuscript preparation for the Center.
Qualifications for Postdoctoral Fellows are as follows:
* PhD degree.
* Background in applied or pure mathematics, statistics, bioinformatics or computational biology; and interest in cancer biology and work experience in probability theory and statistics are preferred.
* Knowledge of mathematical modeling and evolutionary theory as related to cancer, biostatistics methods and bioinformatics software, and the ability to create novel analysis platforms desired.
* 3 years experience in statistical computing, preferably in a biological research setting.
* Previous experience in database construction and maintenance.
* Familiarity with multiple computing platforms and computer languages.
* Ability to work in a team setting.
* Willingness to work variable hours and days.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.