Research Hydraulic Engineer (AIR)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/25/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob ID: 20160815-8096-VAG
Company Name: AIR Worldwide
Your main responsibility as hydraulic engineer will be to build off the success of our recently released Inland Flood Models for Great Britain, US, and countries in Europe. As a member of the flood modeling team, you will help us as we expand into Japan, Canada and other countries. You will work closely with meteorologists, hydrologists, other engineers, software professionals, statisticians, and actuaries to incorporate the latest flood modeling technologies into cutting-edge flood risk assessment software. Your contributions will help provide our clients with the tools and data they need to make informed decisions about flood risk.
Typical responsibilities as a member of the hydraulic team at AIR Worldwide:
* Set up, calibrate, and run large-scale river hydraulic and flash flood models
* Analyze and validate hydraulic model results and flood extents for accuracy
* Develop computer programs to automate data capture and post-processing of hydraulic model results
* Develop and analyze large-scale flood maps based on physical principles
* Communicate and work effectively with multidisciplinary teams to integrate the hydraulic component into the overall flood risk model
* Respond to client questions on released models
* Study the effects of flood defense structures, storm surge, and tides on river flooding
* PhD or Master s degree in Civil/Hydraulic/Water Resources Engineering with associated professional experience
* Professional or research experience working with hydraulic models
Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Experience in developing and applying river hydraulic models
* Effective communication and presentation skills
* Strong programming skills such as C/C++/C#,
* Experience in GIS applications is a plus
* Familiarity with existing hydraulic models such as HEC-RAS
* Knowledge of computational hydrodynamics, including numerically solving PDEs
* Basic knowledge of probability theory and statistics
About AIR Worldwide
AIR Worldwide (AIR) provides catastrophe risk modeling solutions that make individuals, businesses, and society more resilient. AIR founded the catastrophe modeling industry in 1987, and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, and pandemics globally. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on AIR s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. AIR Worldwide, a Verisk Analytics (Nasdaq:VRSK) business, is headquartered in Boston with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. For more information, please visit www.air-worldwide.com.
All members of the Verisk Analytics Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers.
Years of Experience
All members of the Verisk Analytics Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected classification.