This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/23/2016
END DATE 11/9/2016
Trustees of Dartmouth College
JOB DESCRIPTIONADVERTISEMENT TEXT
To collaborate with faculty, students, and technical staff in designing, developing, and maintaining software in support of research projects.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
* Computer programming in C, C++, Java, or similar programming languages.
* Software development on Linux (or UNIX) systems.
* Use of source-code revision-control systems (such as git).
* Website development and management.
* Ability to work well independently and in a team comprised of diverse individuals at multiple geographical locations.
* Willing to work some evenings and weekends.
* Strong commitment to a diverse working environment and to serving the needs of a large and diverse community.
* 2-3 years of experience in computer application programming, including some experience beyond coursework.
* Demonstrated experience working in teams of developers.
* Experience with operating systems, networking, distributed systems, or embedded systems, are a strong plus.
* Experience with mobile-phone programming a plus.
* Experience with digital electronics design a plus.
* Experience as a systems analyst is a plus.
* Experience as a project manager or team leader is a plus.
* Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or the equivalent.
* Masters degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or several years of relevant work experience, is a plus.
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
DEPARTMENT CONTACT FOR COVER LETTER
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
This position is funded by a grant. Continuation is based upon available funds.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Software development and management
* Works with faculty, students, and technical staff to design and develop software in support of research projects. Such software may include server, desktop, mobile, and embedded systems.
* Willing to work with prototype software and hardware, and with incomplete specifications, as research ideas evolve.
* Writes and maintains documentation about the software, hardware, and experiments, including internal documentation and outward-facing websites.
* Establishes and manages systems for archiving and sharing software and research data, including source-code revision-control systems.
* Under minimal supervision, develop prototype software and hardware, often without incomplete specifications, adapting to evolving research ideas.
Experiment design, conduct, and data collection
* With a significant level of independence, assists in design and conduct of computing experiments and the analysis and presentation of data from those experiments.
* Assists in the design and conduct of experiments and user studies.
* Assists in the organization and logistics of research meetings with on- and off-campus collaborators.
* Assists in researching, purchasing, configuring, installing, and managing software packages and electronic devices for use by the research group.
* Responsible for maintaining code libraries, mailing lists, and laboratory supplies.
Communication and professional development
* Develops understanding of diverse cultures through employee education programs.
* Communicates respectfully to a diverse community.
* Maintains a current knowledge of system software and hardware, by attending workshops, reading trade and scientific journals, and vendor documentation.
Performs other duties as assigned.