Research Scientist Job
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2016
END DATE 10/15/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONReq Id 21581 - Posted 08/17/2016 - Research and Development - Cary, North Carolina, US
Individual contributor position to work as a specialist in polymer synthesis in our emulsion product development group. Responsible for providing innovative solutions for unmet customers needs; developing and commercializing new products; identify potential new technologies relevant to business needs.
A strong track record in innovation is strongly desired. Experience in new technology and new business development activities would be highly beneficial.
ACTIVITIES are related to the leadership of technical projects for the Arkema Coating Resins business located in Cary.
- Responsible for the development and commercialization of new technologies and product concepts that provide differentiated performance in the marketplace.
- Seeks to implement innovative solutions to problems and generate technical tools through composition, process, raw material and formulation understanding.
- Monitors technical literature to develop strong understanding of relevant external technologies and leverages to internal needs.
- Fosters an interdependent safety culture in all activities. Ensures safe operations in all activities.
- Development of project plans, technical approaches, timelines, deliverables and IP strategy for assigned projects.
- Direct project teams in the execution of project plans.
- Ensure formulation, execution, documentation and reporting of high quality experimental designs.
- Work with Applications and Process implementation teams to ensure alignment and delivery of technical goals, strategies and coordination of appropriate resources across the cross-functional team.
- Ensures high level of technical excellence through sound use of scientific principles, critical thought, creative problem solving, analytical thinking, open and honest communication of best practices.
- Prepare timely project updates, presentations, and reports to peer and business stakeholders. Ensures completion of formal reports upon completion of projects.
- Documents experimental work and ensures the timely filing of invention disclosures and patent applications.
- Provides regular updates of individual projects through monthly reviews, technical reviews, stage-gate reviews. Reports progress to management versus goals.
- Supports stage-gate process through project management, tracking and reporting practices.
- Supports business strategies at key customers through participation in customer interfaces.
- Liaises with global teams to understand region customer needs and provide solutions.
- Identify and establish opportunities for technical exchange and collaboration between internal and external groups to enhance capabilities and knowledge. Maintains a strong technical network.
- Translate business goals to identify potential projects. Develops and refines project ideas and submits them to management for consideration.
- Earn the role of subject matter expert within business and wider corporation. Influences project team colleagues (R&D, Business) and internal and/or external customers.
- Mentors peers and junior technical personnel.
Works closely with applications and process scientists and engineers in the development of new products. Works closely with peer group to ensure development and propagation of best practices and functional excellence. May lead small teams of junior scientists and technicians. Works closely with other functions, such as process implementation, intellectual property, safety and marketing to ensure smooth commercialization of product concepts.
The position is responsible for the delivery of technical goals that are aligned against business objectives. Incumbents will work with other scientists and engineers to move product development from exploration through commercialization, develop new technologies and drive the development of new intellectual property. Responsible for the development of project plans, timelines and execution of project plans.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science/Engineering, Material Science or a related field plus a minimum of 5 years, or a MS plus a minimum of 10 years of relevant industrial experience is preferred.
- Hands-on industrial experience in emulsion polymerization and application in related fields is essential
- A demonstrated track record in new technology, technical success, technical knowledge, publications and patents. Excellent understanding of commercialization processes and good business acumen.
- Competencies in polymer synthesis (emulsion polymers preferred) and structure property relationships.
- Proficient in computer applications; Lotus Notes; Microsoft Office; Excel; and PowerPoint.
- Experience with design of experiment methodologies (DOE).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.