Research Scientist, Precision Functional Genomics Lead
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/20/2016
END DATE 12/13/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Description:
The Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT is looking for an exceptional candidate for a unique Research Scientist position within the Cancer Program to help fulfill the potential of precision functional genomics of cancer.
Clinical sequencing of human cancers has revealed large numbers of rare mutations that are not functionally characterized, making clinical trial enrollment challenging. Recently, we have published proof-of-concept demonstrations that a generalizable precision functional genomics framework to systematically map the molecular and phenotypic consequences of cancer variants at scale is possible.
We seek a unique individual to help shape and execute a strategic vision in this area to bring together functional genomics and clinical curation to shape clinical sequencing reports of the future. We seek an individual with established leadership potential, vision, ambition, curiosity, creativity and drive to help make precision functional genomics of cancer truly successful over the next decade.
The successful candidate will lead efforts to functionally test tens of thousands of cancer mutations spanning a range of tumor types using next generation CRISPR/Cas9 genome perturbation tools coupled with information-rich, multiplexed molecular and phenotypic readouts such as multiplexed tumorigenesis assays and single cell RNA-sequencing. In partnership with others, he/she will propel efforts to derive deeper mechanistic understanding of biological discoveries. In addition, he/she will partner with clinicians and Broad Associate Members across multiple institutions to help integrate computational and functional predictions of allele impact into next-generation clinical sequencing patient reports.
He/she will work closely with the Senior Leadership of the Cancer Program and the Broad Institute in planning and fundraising. As such, this position affords significant growth potential in a vibrant research environment. If successful, the individual and their contributions will influence the field of precision cancer medicine on a national and international stage.
* Optimizes CRISPR/Cas9 genome engineering technologies to introduce specific cancer alleles in mammalian cells.
* Performs large scale, multiplexed assessments of tumorigenicity using the recently developed TumorPlex platform and other approaches.
* Performs large-scale pooled screens coupled with single-cell RNAseq and/or single cell morphological profiling to map allele function at massive scale.
* Partners with post-docs and computational biologists to analyze data and drive mechanistic studies
* Partners with the Computational team to develop and refine new technologies and computational approaches; compares and contrasts to existing approaches on scientific merit.
* Makes recommendations to Program and Institutional leadership.
* Proactively identify collaborations and fundraising paths; manage existing collaborations and grants to ensure that deliverables are met on time and on budget.
* Create, monitor, and implement effective plans; plays major role in identifying project scope and assembling research team members.
* Make significant contributions to scientific papers and presentations. Participate in the writing of grant proposals and participate in external activities, technical meetings, and invited symposia.
* Ph.D. degree in molecular biology, cellular biology, cancer biology or related discipline with significant experience in high-throughput functional cancer genomic research
* 3+ years of post-doctoral experience in addition to professional experience in functional genomics, single cell RNAseq and/or clinical cancer sequencing.
* Candidate should have outstanding academic and professional track record.
* Managerial and mentoring experience desired.
* Candidate should be an innovative and analytical thinker with outstanding interpersonal and communication skills. Must be highly disciplined and organized.
* Successful candidate will be highly self-motivated and enthusiastic about taking a hands-on approach to collaborative scientific discovery efforts.
EOE / Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabilities