Research Technician II
Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Regenerative Medicine
Harvard Stem Cell Institute
HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL
Looking for a highly motivated individual to join a research program in hematopoietic stem cells and their niche with the intent of developing new therapies for blood disorders and malignancies. This position is ideal for candidates interested in the interface of basic and translational biomedical research, and is a unique opportunity for scientific growth, interacting in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment and for training in a variety of experimental approaches.
Start date is October/November 2016.
EMPLOYING DEPARTMENT AND INSTITUTION: Center for Regenerative Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital.
The candidate is expected to independently carry out the daily activities of the laboratory, which include:
* Mouse colony management and genotyping.
* Responsibilities for a wide range of techniques including cell culture, animal behavioral testing and data analysis, stereological injections and surgeries, viral work, molecular biology, RNA work, and tissue histology.
* Assisting lab personnel with routine experiments.
* Documenting, compiling, and analyzing information obtained from laboratory experiments.
* Development of new experimental techniques and assays.
* Systematic generation and maintenance of database/inventory of all lab supplies, plasmids, bacterial stocks, lab records and mouse colony. Maintain compliance with safety, biohazard and radioactivity guidelines. Communicates and coordinates with all lab members to ensure adherence to lab protocols.
* Oversees purchasing, inventories and maintenance of laboratory equipment, supplies, reagents and stock solutions. Communicates with vendors regarding service contracts, maintenance and repairs.
* Training of new lab members in various techniques.
* 1-3 years of full time laboratory experience
* Must be highly motivated and organized, prudent in time management and capable of juggling multiple tasks and competing priorities.
* Must be very comfortable working with mice.
* Quick to learn new skills on the job and work independently.
* Excellent interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff and with external contacts in a fast paced environment. Must be a team player.
* Critical thinking skills and attention to detail are required.
* Communicates with vendors regarding service contracts, maintenance and repairs.
MINIMUM DEGREE AND FIELD OF KNOWLEDGE: B.S./B.A. in Cell Biology or Molecular Biology or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
RECOMMENDED RESEARCH EXPERIENCE: 2 years experience or more. Prior experience with mice is essential.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.