Research Technician II
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe Department of Neurology has an opening for a Research Technician II in a recently established center directed towards the study of hereditary dystonia. The incumbent of this position will work independently under minimal supervision and primarily be responsible for cell culture, extraction of DNA and RNA, qRT-PCR quantitation of RNA, and genomic/cDNA gel electrophoresis and sequence analysis.
Key responsibilities and major job duties:
* Performs general mammalian tissue culture, including maintenance and propagation of patient and control cell lines (primary skin fibroblasts, EBV-transformed lymphoblasts) as well as common laboratory cell lines (e.g. HEK293, COS, SH-SY5Y)
* Isolates DNA and RNA from cell lines and assesses quantity and quality using Bioanalyzer
* Designs primers and carries out quantitatiove RT-PCR on RNA from cells. Analyzes results and carries out statistical analysis on findings.
* Works with small team to devise experimental strategies, but is able to carry out experimental work independently.
* Carries out computer analysis of sequence data and alignment with genomic sequence.
* Prepares figures for presentations and publications, and writes methods sections for publications as well as editing of manuscripts.
* May occasionally assist with technical supervision of undergraduate rotation students in the laboratory.
BA/BS in biological science is required. Some background in experimental bench biology.
1 year of directly related research experience. Some background in standard molecular biological and biochemical methods is also expected.
Able to think and work independently. Strong organizational skills and an ability to work as part of a team. Analytical skills to resolve problems. High degree of computer literacy. Demonstrated competence in research techniques and methodologies. Strong theoretical background in molecular genetics with some bench experience in methods. Strong writing skills.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.