Research and Development Director, Fluorochemicals NA Job
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/19/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
King Of Prussia, PA
JOB DESCRIPTIONReq Id 20901 - Posted 06/23/2016 - Research and Development - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US
The Research & Development Director is responsible for the progression and management of Arkema's Fluorochemicals R&D portfolio from initiation of new programs thru successful commercial launch. He/she will oversee an R&D budget of $5 million and supports the North American (NA) business with annual sales of nearly $400 million. The Research & Development Director is responsible for managing the King of Prussia laboratories occupied by the Fluorochemicals R&D personnel in buildings 12 and 1, which contain numerous lab, pre-pilot, and commercial scale pieces of equipment for process and application development. The Research & Development Director is also accountable for the efficient deployment of technical resources in NA, which must be aligned with the Research in Europe and Asia, and with output impacting: NA sales and earnings; operating margins; return on capital; ability to enter new markets and/or defense of existing market positions, with new or improved products, processes and applications.
Specific job activities include (but are not limited to):
- Contribute to the global innovation strategy and portfolio of programs
- Work with the Business Unit (BU) leaders and the Global Director on project selection and prioritization. Work closely with the BU Managers and Market Development Managers to drive the technical programs through the different phases of commercialization.
- Ensure that the NA Fluorochemicals Innovation and New Product and Process development programs are properly organized, resourced and in-sync with the global programs.
- Transfer of new products, technology and IP between regions.
- Manage the IP portfolio and decision making within NA
- Lead (in partnership with regional commercial leadership and global R&D leadership) the NA Portfolio Management for the Fluorochemicals Process and Application programs
- Responsible for performance reviews, career development and safety for all employees in Fluorochemicals Research groups in North America.
- Ensure effective use of capital resources.
- Promote and manage synergistic activities with other technical/business communities (within Arkema) for opportunity identification and/or enhancement of project progress.
- Be strong and visible leader of the WE INNOV8 program.
- Propose new R&D projects to the Fluorochemicals business groups and the Global R&D director to ensure a pipeline to development portfolio
- Negotiate R&D budget to align technical resources with the Business expectations and strategies.
- Ensure technical competencies are aligned with business objectives and strategies.
- Propose new business development initiatives which leverage our technical resources and capabilities.
- Direct effective execution of development projects via: assignment of resources, leveraging outside resources, making available the required equipment and supplies, and periodic reviews with project teams (made up of R&D and Business personnel).
- Support business strategies and initiatives at key customers through participation in scheduled customer interfaces.
- Identify and establish joint R&D programs with universities, outside labs, development partners, and other Arkema labs to enhance our own capabilities and progress on projects.
CONTEXT AND ENVIRONMENT:
The position is based at Arkema Inc.'s Corporate Offices and R&D Center in King of Prussia, PA (KoP) and requires close working relationships with the Arkema R&D Leadership Team in KoP and with the Fluorochemicals Global Leadership in France. This position requires close collaboration with the Global Fluorochemicals R&D Leader on strategy, tactics, and coordination of R&D and commercialization programs. He/she will also work closely with the Arkema technical community to leverage capabilities, identify synergies and to enhance project progress.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Materials/Polymers Science or Engineering'
- 10+ years of experience in the Chemical or Polymers industry;
- Demonstrated technical and managerial excellence which delivers significant commercial impact, in a globalized business.
- Demonstrated competencies in leadership, motivational, communication skills.
- Must be versed in business strategies, motivation and vocabulary to establish partnerships with the business counterparts and key customers.
A global chemical company and France s leading chemicals producer, Arkema is building the future of the chemical industry
every day. Deploying a responsible, innovation-based approach, we produce state-of-the-art specialty chemicals that
provide customers with practical solutions to such challenges as climate change, access to drinking water, the future of
energy, fossil fuel preservation and the need for lighter materials. With operations in close to 50 countries, some 19,000
employees and research centers in North America, France and Asia, Arkema generates pro forma annual revenue of some
$8.1 billion, and holds leadership positions in all its markets with a portfolio of internationally recognized brands.,
Arkema Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Arkema Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
For more information about the EEOC, please refer to The \\"EEO IS The Law\\" poster at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.