Research and Development Leader (Director) Job
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/19/2016
END DATE 10/9/2016
King Of Prussia, PA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Req Id 20381 - Posted 05/25/2016 - Research and Development - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US
This position is a key member of Arkema Inc. s Senior R&D Leadership team and will be based at our Corporate Offices and R&D Center in King of Prussia, PA. The Research and Development Director reports directly to the Vice President of Research & Development and interacts with several other business unit and Corporate R&D Directors, as well as their respective group managers. He/she will coordinate with international counterparts to drive enhancements to Arkema s global capabilities and must understand the long-term strategies and development interests of Arkema s business units to evolve capabilities to meet business needs.
Specific job activities include (but are not limited to):
- Foster strong safety culture and develop programs and metrics to assess and improve performance continuously.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for Americas-based R&D teams.
- Influence global technical and business organizations to secure support for regional programs.
- Drive business growth objectives through state-of-the-art research and development initiatives.
- Shape and prioritize technical project portfolios in alignment with business unit needs, execute using stage-gate processes, and create systems to continuously measure performance and value delivery.
- Generate and leverage intellectual property for commercial advantage.
- Negotiate Joint Development and IP Licensing agreements
- Develop technology by partnering with key customers. Actively participate in the Key Account Management process by presence at leading customers to both meet their needs and find innovation/new product opportunities
- Monitor performance of research and development activities through business-driven metrics and communicate results to key stakeholders by organizing and leading bi-annual portfolio reviews with the commercial team
- Benchmark and implement organizational best practices and streamlined work processes to return measurable value.
- Actively recruit and hire to build an effective and productive R&D staff.
- Manage deployment of shared Process Technology resources, ensure project progress on capital intensive growth initiatives for the business unit and provide regular updates to the business team on progress
- Propose new R&D initiatives to leverage technical resources and capabilities.
- Identify potential synergies with other business units for technical development
- Drive development programs through assignment of internal resources, leveraging of outside resources, acquisition of equipment and supplies, and periodic reviews with project teams.
- Establish collaborative R&D programs with universities, outside laboratories, development partners, and other Arkema facilities to enhance capabilities and to accelerate project progress.
- Provide monthly updates and quarterly overviews on key projects and group activities, including safety activities, for broad distribution.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Materials Science/Engineering, or related discipline.
- 5-10 years of R&D/technology management experience.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including setting strategic organizational vision and managing change.
- Experience working as part of a global R&D organization is highly desirable.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with an established track record of cross-functional collaboration and team building.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent motivational and negotiation skills.
- Broad organizational knowledge, including both technical and business understanding.
A global chemical company and France s leading chemicals producer, Arkema is building the future of the chemical industry
every day. Deploying a responsible, innovation-based approach, we produce state-of-the-art specialty chemicals that
provide customers with practical solutions to such challenges as climate change, access to drinking water, the future of
energy, fossil fuel preservation and the need for lighter materials. With operations in close to 50 countries, some 19,000
employees and research centers in North America, France and Asia, Arkema generates pro forma annual revenue of some
$8.1 billion, and holds leadership positions in all its markets with a portfolio of internationally recognized brands.,
Arkema Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Arkema Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
For more information about the EEOC, please refer to The \\"EEO IS The Law\\" poster at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.