Respiratory Therapist 9/7/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: The Respiratory Therapy Department provides 24-hour therapeutic pulmonary diagnostic and treatment services, in addition to computerized lung function and capacity testing. A team of experienced registered respiratory therapists employs an advanced generation SensorMedics Vmax22 pulmonary function testing unit. This state of the art diagnostic equipment provides unprecedented range of testing, including Methacholine Challenge Testing, guaranteed accuracy of DLCO and N2 Washout and customized report services delivered expeditiously with an extremely high degree of accuracy.
JOB LOCATION: Needham, MA
REQ ID: 16512BR
JOB SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Director of Respiratory Therapy and upon request of the physician, sets up and operates various types of respiratory care equipment to be utilized in the diagnosis and treatment of respiratory disease and/or illness including Blood Gas Laboratory.
* Explains purpose and procedure of treatments, tests and equipment to the patient.
* Conducts physician prescribed treatments of a routine nature operating Intermittent Positive Pressure Breathing (IPPB) Machine, various nasal oxygen devices and ultrasonic nebulizer in order to administer prescribed medicinal vapors and gases, humidity, and various oxygen concentrations to the respiratory system of the patient.
* Performs chest physical therapy treatments involving percussion, postural drainage and suctioning in order to loosen and mobilize secretions and mucous and to clear airway blockage in the respiratory system.
* Performs arterial puncture; operates blood gas analyzer measuring and determining the acid balance efficiency of ventilation, and metabolism of the respiratory system.
* Sets up, operates, and monitors ventilators when patient's respiratory system is incapable of adequate spontaneous ventilation.
* Associate's degree required in Respiratory Therapy.
* Registration required: Reg Respiratory Therapist
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.