This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/3/2016
END DATE 10/8/2016
Southern States Cooperative
Amelia Court House, VA
JOB DESCRIPTIONGeneral Summary
Demonstrates the ability to learn and develop skills to effectively perform a specialized role or to cross-train in multiple areas. Relies on ability to work well in a team environment, prioritize customer needs and adhere to operating procedures. Performs work under direct supervision.
Essential Job Functions
This position may include essential job functions similar to: cashier, merchandising and sales, warehouse, plant nursery, and/or delivery driver. Job descriptions for these roles are available through the Human Resources Division. Complexity of essential job functions increases with grade level.
Essential Job Functions vary by location and may include:
- Greet customers in a welcoming and professional manner. Utilize customer-focused interpersonal skills including smiling, making eye contact, meeting them in aisle when possible, helping lift products as necessary, providing appropriate attention including when assisting more than one customer at time, acknowledging they will be assisted soon if waiting, and thanking each one for their business.
- Assist customers with quickly locating merchandise in the showroom. Introduce customer to a senior team member when specialized assistance is needed.
- Replenish, face and organize merchandise on shelving. Move inventory utilizing proper lifting techniques and equipment in accordance with facility procedures.
- Assist with signage, pricing and shelf labeling. Ensure a neat and professional presentation according to facility procedures.
- Process checkout transactions utilizing point of sale equipment, including: cash registers, hand held scanners and credit/debit card terminals. Accurately handle cash and make change. May perform more complex transactions with assistance, including exchanges, returns, discounts and markdowns.
- Fill customer orders accurately with merchandise from showroom floor and/or warehouse. Effectively utilize proper equipment and tools. Load customer vehicles as needed.
- Receive merchandise into the warehouse. Inspect shipments and paperwork to verify order accuracy and ensure product quality. Escalate order errors or damage to appropriate team member. Effectively utilize forklifts, pallet jacks and other equipment to unload and store merchandise in proper warehouse location. Stage merchandise for showroom restocking, upcoming deliveries and loading customer vehicles.
- Assist with physical inventory counts in the showroom and/or warehouse.
- Deliver merchandise to customer locations. Operate SSC delivery vehicles according to procedures and in keeping with government regulations.
- Answer incoming telephone calls in a professional and courteous manner. Communicate information regarding order status, product availability, current sales, promotions and store events.
- Maintain the health and overall appearance plant material in the garden center. Perform deadheading, pruning, regular watering, movement and rotation of plants in optimum sun/shade locations.
The essential functions below are required for all locations:
- Demonstrate initiative to learn and effectively apply knowledge of standard operating procedures. Develop skills for successful customer sales, merchandising, inventory support and/or facility maintenance.
- Learn and effectively operate assigned tools and equipment, including point of sale terminals, hand held scanners, forklifts, pallet jacks and other related equipment.
- Communicate regularly with co-workers and supervisor about current assignments. Contribute to department efforts as an active team member. Provide assistance to co-workers and request support as needed.
- Actively participate in on-the-job training, on-line courses, formal and informal classes and/or coaching opportunities offered by SSC and as required by supervisor.
- Monitor entrances and exits in an effort to promote store safety, security and to minimize merchandise loss. Escalate potential security concerns to store leadership.
- Perform daily housekeeping duties according to facility procedures to ensure a neat, clean and welcoming environment.
- Perform work safely as to not cause harm to yourself, co-workers, equipment, or inventory. Utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required. Operate all equipment according to SSC policy and government regulations. Comply with OSHA regulations, Southern States Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) standards, work rules and policies.
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Must have prior burner service experience.
- Be familiar with territory.
- May require CDL.
- Propane certification if propane is sold at location.
- Petroleum / propane position.
- Assigns routes for petroleum drivers.
Requires physical strength and dexterity to walk, stand, bend, climb, reach, stoop, twist and lift/carry 100 pounds. Vision, hearing and speech essential. Hand coordination to use computer. May require a valid drivers license. Job requires contact with hazardous materials and drive/travel and work in adverse weather conditions.
Southern States Cooperative, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws, or regulations.